Is there a general method for solving Fredholm integral equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Fredholm integral equation with a known function K and an unknown constant C. The goal is to find a probability distribution P that satisfies the equation. The conversation explores the possibility of a numerical or analytic solution, but also notes the difficulty of solving the equation due to a large space of unknowns and a single known value. The conversation also clarifies that the derivatives of K with respect to the s variables may not necessarily be 0.
LeonhardEuler
Gold Member
Hello Everyone. An interesting equation has come in my thesis research, and I was wondering whether anyone had any useful information about it. It is this equation:
[tex]\int_{a_1}^{b_1}...\int_{a_n}^{b_n}P(x_1,...x_n)K(x_1,...x_n,s_1...s_n)dx_1...dx_n=C[/tex]
K is a known function of the x's and s's. C is an unknown constant. P is a probability distribution and so subject to
[tex]\int_{a_1}^{b_1}...\int_{a_n}^{b_n}P(x_1,...x_n)dx_1...dx=1[/tex]
[tex]P(x_1,...x_n)\ge 0[/tex]
The goal is to find P. I found this Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredholm_integral_equation
So I see that this is a Fredholm integral equation of the first kind. However, none of the theorems they present have any clear relevance to helping solve this equation, and there is nothing about how to impose the probability conditions.

It would be great if there was a general method for a numerical solution of these equations, and it would be good to know about analytic solutions in certain cases. A general analytic solution is probably too much to hope for. A way to transform this to a differential equation would also be good, since I know more about those.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm a little confused at this specific equation; are you sure C is a constant and not dependant on s1, s2, ... sn? If you are, then how can K depend on s1, s2, ... sn?

MikeyW said:
I'm a little confused at this specific equation; are you sure C is a constant and not dependant on s1, s2, ... sn? If you are, then how can K depend on s1, s2, ... sn?

Yes, I am sure, and this is a question I get from a lot of people I have shown this to. Here is an example of a solution to the equation in one dimension:
[tex]F(x,s)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\frac{(b-a)e^{-\frac{(x-s)^2}{2\sigma^2}}}{\sigma[erf(\frac{s-a}{\sqrt{2}\sigma})+erf(\frac{b-s}{\sqrt{2}\sigma})]}[/tex]
[tex]P(x)=\frac{1}{b-a}[/tex]
[tex]C=1[/tex]
Given any K and P that don't solve the problem because they give f(s) instead of C, you can always generate a solved version of the problem (though not the one you are trying to solve) by dividing K by f(s).

I think you've lost me, what's F, a, b?

The last sentence also went over my head; am I right in saying that because C is a constant, dK/ds1 = dK/ds2 = ... = dK/dsn = 0? I don't think you'd be asking if it were, but I can't comprehend how the RHS is constant yet the LHS depends on a set of variables.

On a more fundamental level, it seems like you have a very large space of unknowns (a continuous function P) and a single scalar known value C. It would seem to be vastly underdetermined.

MikeyW said:
I think you've lost me, what's F, a, b?

The last sentence also went over my head; am I right in saying that because C is a constant, dK/ds1 = dK/ds2 = ... = dK/dsn = 0? And your problem is essentially an integral? I don't think you'd be asking if it were, but I can't comprehend how the RHS is constant yet the LHS depends on a set of variables.

Really sorry about that. I meant
[tex]K(x,s)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\frac{(b-a)e^{-\frac{(x-s)^2}{2\sigma^2}}}{\sigma[erf(\frac{s-a}{\sqrt{2}\sigma})+erf(\frac{b-s}{\sqrt{2}\sigma})]}[/tex]
And a and b are the limits of integration in the original problem, with the subscripts dropped because this is a 1D case.

Let me clarify what I meant before with the last sentence. Suppose
[tex]\int_{a_1}^{b_1}...\int_{a_n}^{b_n}P(x_1,...x_n)K(x_1,...x_n,s_1...s_n) dx_1...dx_n=f(s_1,...s_n)[/tex]
Then define
[tex]K_{new}(x_1,...x_n,s_1,...s_n)=\frac{K(x_1,...x_n,s_1,...s_n)}{f(s_1,...s_n)}[/tex]
Then
[tex]\int_{a_1}^{b_1}...\int_{a_n}^{b_n}P(x_1,...x_n)K_{new}(x_1,...x_n,s_1...s_n) dx_1...dx_n=1[/tex]
From this you see that the derivatives of K with respect to the s variables are not necessarily 0. Unless I'm still unclear. Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Also, here is another simple example of the same counter intuitive kind of thing. Suppose
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}f(x,s)dx=1[/tex]
for all s>0. You might think that
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial s}=0[/tex]
But suppose
[tex]f(x,s)=se^{-sx}[/tex]
Then
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}se^{-sx}dx=1[/tex]
but
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial s}=-s^2e^{-sx}+e^{-sx}[/tex]

1. What is a Fredholm integral equation?

A Fredholm integral equation is a type of integral equation that includes an unknown function inside the integral sign. It is used to find the unknown function by solving the equation analytically or numerically.

2. What are the applications of Fredholm integral equations?

Fredholm integral equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model problems involving scattering, diffusion, and boundary value problems. They also have applications in image processing, signal processing, and finance.

3. What is the difference between a Fredholm integral equation and a Volterra integral equation?

The main difference between a Fredholm integral equation and a Volterra integral equation is the limits of integration. In a Fredholm integral equation, the limits are fixed, while in a Volterra integral equation, the upper limit is a function of the variable of integration. This makes Fredholm integral equations easier to solve analytically.

4. How are Fredholm integral equations solved?

Fredholm integral equations can be solved using various methods such as the method of successive approximations, the Neumann series, and the Galerkin method. The choice of method depends on the type of equation and its properties.

5. What is the significance of Fredholm integral equations in mathematics?

Fredholm integral equations have important theoretical and practical significance in mathematics. They are used to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions for many problems in physics and engineering. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as functional analysis and operator theory.