1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free-electrom density

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    The question is...

A Hall probe is constructed from a semi-conducting material of thickness 0.4 millimeters. When 5 amps of current passes through the material a Hall voltage of .6 volts is produced when the probe is placed in a uniform magnetic field of 0.01 Tesla. Assuming the current is due to "free electrons" in motion, determine the following:
    a. The "free electron density" of the semi-conducting material

b. The Hall voltage produced by the Hall probe when it is placed in a magnetic field of 0.3 Tesla

My opinion- I am mostly concerned with part a because I am lost. I am thinking you would use the equation for Coloumb's law Fe=ke*(q1*q2)/r^2 and solving for ke. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

For part b I was thinking I would use DeltaV=E*d=vdBd

One of my main problems is just knowing what to plug in where. If anyone can help please do. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted