How Does Free Electron Density Affect Hall Voltage in a Semiconductor?

• Thread starter catfisherman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the Hall probe, made of a semi-conducting material with a thickness of 0.4 millimeters, produces a Hall voltage of 0.6 volts when a current of 5 amps passes through it in a uniform magnetic field of 0.01 Tesla. Using the equation VH = (ρe/B)j, we can determine the free electron density of the material to be 1.2 x 10^-4 m^-3. For a magnetic field strength of 0.3 Tesla, the Hall voltage produced is 7.2 x 10^-6 V.
catfisherman
The question is...

A Hall probe is constructed from a semi-conducting material of thickness 0.4 millimeters. When 5 amps of current passes through the material a Hall voltage of .6 volts is produced when the probe is placed in a uniform magnetic field of 0.01 Tesla. Assuming the current is due to "free electrons" in motion, determine the following:
a. The "free electron density" of the semi-conducting material

b. The Hall voltage produced by the Hall probe when it is placed in a magnetic field of 0.3 Tesla

My opinion- I am mostly concerned with part a because I am lost. I am thinking you would use the equation for Coloumb's law Fe=ke*(q1*q2)/r^2 and solving for ke. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

For part b I was thinking I would use DeltaV=E*d=vdBd

One of my main problems is just knowing what to plug in where. If anyone can help please do. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, the equation you need to use is VH = (ρe/B)j, where ρe is the free electron density of the semi-conducting material and B is the magnetic field strength. You can rearrange this equation to obtain ρe = (VH*B)/j, where VH is the Hall voltage produced by the Hall probe when it is placed in a uniform magnetic field of 0.01 Tesla and j is the current flowing through the material. Plugging in the values given, the free electron density of the semi-conducting material is 0.6 x 0.01 / 5 = 1.2 x 10^-4 m^-3.For part b, you can use the same equation, VH = (ρe/B)j, but with the new magnetic field strength of 0.3 Tesla. Plugging in the values given, the Hall voltage produced by the Hall probe when it is placed in a magnetic field of 0.3 Tesla is 1.2 x 10^-4 x 0.3 / 5 = 7.2 x 10^-6 V.

I can provide a response to the content and help clarify the concepts involved. Firstly, the term "free electron density" refers to the number of free electrons per unit volume in a material. In a semi-conducting material, the free electrons are responsible for conducting electricity.

To determine the free electron density in this scenario, we need to use the formula for the Hall voltage (VH) in a Hall probe, which is VH = (IB)/(nq), where I is the current passing through the material, B is the magnetic field strength, n is the free electron density, and q is the charge of an electron.

Using the given values of I = 5 amps, VH = 0.6 volts, and B = 0.01 Tesla, we can rearrange the formula to solve for n. This gives us n = (IB)/(qVH) = (5*0.4*10^-3)/(1.6*10^-19*0.6) = 6.25 x 10^22 electrons/m^3.

For part b, we can use the same formula but with the new value of B = 0.3 Tesla. This gives us VH = (5*0.4*10^-3)/(1.6*10^-19*0.3) = 5.56 volts.

It is important to note that the Hall voltage is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength, so a higher magnetic field will result in a higher Hall voltage. Also, the thickness of the material (0.4 millimeters) plays a role in the calculation, as it affects the number of free electrons per unit volume.

In summary, the free electron density in the semi-conducting material is 6.25 x 10^22 electrons/m^3, and the Hall voltage produced by the Hall probe in a magnetic field of 0.3 Tesla is 5.56 volts. I hope this helps to clarify the concepts involved.

1. What is free-electron density?

Free-electron density is a measure of the number of electrons that are not bound to atoms or molecules in a material. It is also known as the conduction electron density and is an important factor in determining the electrical and thermal properties of a material.

2. How is free-electron density calculated?

Free-electron density is typically calculated by dividing the total number of free electrons in a material by its volume. This can be determined experimentally through techniques such as Hall effect measurements or theoretically through quantum mechanical calculations.

3. What factors affect free-electron density?

The free-electron density of a material can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the number of free electrons, while impurities can either increase or decrease the free-electron density depending on their electronic properties.

4. Why is free-electron density important in materials science?

Free-electron density plays a crucial role in determining the electrical and thermal conductivity of a material. It also affects other properties such as optical and magnetic behavior. Understanding and controlling free-electron density is essential for designing and developing materials with specific properties and applications.

5. How does free-electron density differ from electron density?

Free-electron density refers specifically to the number of electrons that are not bound to atoms or molecules, while electron density refers to the total number of electrons in a material. Electron density includes both free and bound electrons, and it is typically a higher value than free-electron density.