Free-Fall Acceleration Problem

In summary, the bolt passes through the last 28% of its fall in .8 seconds and it has a speed of 24.5 m/s when it begins that last 28% of its fall and when it reaches the valley beneath the bridge.
Gattz

Homework Statement

A bolt is dropped from a bridge under construction, falling 85 m to the valley below the bridge. (a) In how much time does it pass through the last 28% of its fall? What is its speed (b) when it begins that last 28% of its fall and (c) when it reaches the valley beneath the bridge?

Homework Equations

No idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did .28 x 85 = 23.8 m. I also assumed g = 9.8 m/s^2, xinitial = 23.8, xfinal = 0, but I'm now lost. The five constant acceleration constants need v or t which I have neither.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gattz said:

Homework Statement

A bolt is dropped from a bridge under construction, falling 85 m to the valley below the bridge. (a) In how much time does it pass through the last 28% of its fall? What is its speed (b) when it begins that last 28% of its fall and (c) when it reaches the valley beneath the bridge?

Homework Equations

No idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did .28 x 85 = 23.8 m. I also assumed g = 9.8 m/s^2, xinitial = 23.8, xfinal = 0, but I'm now lost. The five constant acceleration constants need v or t which I have neither.

does the question require you to take air resistance into account? Or should I assume that it's dropped in vacuum?

I won't tell you how to solve it, but I'll just give you a hint and some relavent equations. (As stated by the forum rules, we don't do your homework for you.)

Hint: Draw a speed-time graph. Assign variables to the unknown numbers.

Relavent equations:

a = (v-u)/t
v = d/t

Good thing to remember: Always draw the speed-time graph or velocity-time graph if you're unsure on how to solve a kinematics question. (just a rough sketch of it will do, you don't have to draw it accurately on graph paper)

Last edited:
I believe I'm suppose to neglect air resistance. How could I draw a speed-time graph, if I don't have velocity or time? And what is "u" in the a = (v-u)/t equation?

Well, first you might want to figure out the information for the first 72% of the fall - that will help you get the starting velocity when the bolt enters the final 28%, and from there you can find all the other information you need.

Would a = -9.8 or +9.8?

Okay I did part b without doing part a if that is possible. First I flipped the problem upside down so the starting point is 0m and the bolt is falling up to 85m so that a = 9.8. I did v2 = vo2 + 2a(x-xo) to find v. So it's v2=0 + 2(9.8)(61.2-0). So v = 24.5m/s. That's part b.

But I'm confused on what part a is asking. Does it mean how much time elapsed during the last 28% of the fall or in my case the flight upward?

Acceleration is technically -9.8 because it's in a downward direction, but your method looks sound to me. I mean, the problem is asking for speed anyway; therefore, you don't need the negative sign to indicate direction, so you're fine - but just be aware that if you come across something similar asking for velocity, it would be negative.

And yes, part a is asking how much time elapses during the final 28% of the fall.

For part a I did x-xo=vot + 1/2at2. Plugging in I get

85-61.2=24.5t + 1/2(9.8)t2 to get 4.9t2 +24.5t - 23.8 = 0

Okay, that's nice, but when I tried doing quadratic formula, both my times come out to be negative. t = -1.32s and -3.68. What did I do wrong?

I'm thinking maybe you made an error with the quadratic formula.

My god, you are right, I made the answer to -4ac to negative. Ok so then the answer for a must be .8seconds. Does that sound too small? Also I found the answer for part c to be 33 m/s.

No, that all sounds about right. :)

Thanks so much physicsface! Great help!

What is free-fall acceleration?

Free-fall acceleration is the acceleration of an object due to the force of gravity, without any other forces acting on it.

What is the formula for calculating free-fall acceleration?

The formula for calculating free-fall acceleration is a = g = F/m, where a is the acceleration, g is the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth), F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object.

How does air resistance affect free-fall acceleration?

Air resistance can affect free-fall acceleration by slowing down the object's descent. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force on the object, reducing the net force of gravity and therefore the acceleration.

What factors can affect free-fall acceleration?

The factors that can affect free-fall acceleration include the mass of the object, the gravitational constant, and the presence of air resistance. Other factors such as altitude and air pressure can also play a role.

What are some real-life examples of free-fall acceleration?

Some real-life examples of free-fall acceleration include a skydiver falling from a plane, a ball being dropped from a height, and a rock falling from a cliff. In each of these cases, the only force acting on the object is gravity, resulting in free-fall acceleration.