Free fall ball velocity question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of a ball thrown from the top of a building after 3 seconds and after falling 108 feet. The equations used are s(t) = -16t^2 + Vi(t) + si and V(t) = -32(t) - 22ft/s. The two methods to find the velocity are using the formula V_f^2 = V_i^2 - 2 g \Delta y and using the equation y= V_i t -1/2 g t^2 to find the time first.
msc8127

Homework Statement

a ball is thrown straight down from the top of a 220 feet building with an initital velocity of -22ft/s. What is the velocity of the ball after 3 seconds? What is the velocity of the ball after falling 108 feet?

Homework Equations

s(t) = -16t^2 + Vi(t) + si vi = initial velocity, si = initial position

The Attempt at a Solution

s(t) = -16t^2 +Vi(t) +si
= -16t^2 - 22ft/s + 200ft

V(t) = -32(t) - 22ft/s
V(3) = -96 ft/s - 22ft/s = -118 ft/s

I can seem to figure out how to determine the velocity of the ball after it has dropped 108ft.

I should be able to do this, but I'm missing something, somewhere on what should be pretty basic.

Thanks for any guidance!

Physics news on Phys.org
msc8127 said:

Homework Statement

a ball is thrown straight down from the top of a 220 feet building with an initital velocity of -22ft/s. What is the velocity of the ball after 3 seconds? What is the velocity of the ball after falling 108 feet?

Homework Equations

s(t) = -16t^2 + Vi(t) + si vi = initial velocity, si = initial position

The Attempt at a Solution

s(t) = -16t^2 +Vi(t) +si
= -16t^2 - 22ft/s + 200ft

V(t) = -32(t) - 22ft/s
V(3) = -96 ft/s - 22ft/s = -118 ft/s

I can seem to figure out how to determine the velocity of the ball after it has dropped 108ft.

I should be able to do this, but I'm missing something, somewhere on what should be pretty basic.

Thanks for any guidance!

There are two ways to do it.

The quickest way is to use [tex] V_f^2 = V_i^2 - 2 g \Delta y [/tex].

The other ways is to use the equation [tex] y= V_i t -1/2 g t^2 [/tex] to first find the time to drop 108 feet and then to plug this into [tex] V_f = V_i - g t [/tex]

Thanks for the reply. I have a solution that makes sense now. :)

I appreciate your help!

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity. It is when an object falls under the force of gravity without any other external forces acting on it.

2. How is free fall different from other types of motion?

Free fall is different from other types of motion because it occurs when an object is only under the influence of gravity, whereas other types of motion involve multiple forces acting on the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object in free fall?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an object in free fall is v = gt, where v is the velocity in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

4. Does the mass of the object affect its velocity in free fall?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its velocity in free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum due to the acceleration of gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect an object's velocity in free fall?

Air resistance can slow down an object's velocity in free fall. As an object falls, it displaces air molecules, creating a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This force increases as the speed of the object increases, eventually resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.