Free fall equations Sky diver Felix need some help please

In summary, the conversation is about using free fall equations to determine the distance or time at which sky diver Felix will reach the speed of sound. The person asking for help tried to use these equations, but their results were not reasonable. They assumed Felix's weight, height, and air resistance, but were unable to solve the problem. They also mentioned that this was not for homework, but just a question they had and shared a link with more information on the topic. The link describes how Felix reached a peak speed of 614 miles per hour, nine-tenths the speed of sound, at an altitude of 96,000 feet.
najat
free fall equations ...Sky diver Felix :) need some help please

hi :)

OK..i tried to use the equations below to evaluate the distance or the time at which felix will reach the speed of sound ...but i failed ..i need some help:
here what i did:

first i neglect the air resistance , but the result was unreasonable so i used these:

jb13498311781.jpg

i assumed that :

m=weight of felix=70 kg
h=the height=36000 m
k=air resistance=0.24 >> i think "k" during the falling and by the time will be increased to 70

the result was :
t=2.7*10^56 sec :0
v=53 m/s :(

i don't know what i miss here ! so if someone will help me i will be so tankful ..

Physics news on Phys.org

hi ..
any body have any idea :(

by the way this is not for home work , it just a question pop up to me and i want to solve it , but it has been moved here :)

Just for info...

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml

"An hour and thirty-one minutes after launch, my pressure altimeter halts at 103,300 feet. At ground control the radar altimeters also have stopped-on readings of 102,800 feet, the figure that we later agree upon as the more reliable. It is 7 o'clock in the morning, and I have reached float altitude …. Though my stabilization chute opens at 96,000 feet, I accelerate for 6,000 feet more before hitting a peak of 614 miles an hour, nine-tenths the speed of sound at my altitude."

Scroll down that page for the maths.

1. What is the formula for calculating free fall?

The formula for calculating free fall is d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the rate of free fall. As an object falls through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force increases as the speed of the object increases, eventually balancing out the force of gravity and causing the object to reach a terminal velocity.

3. Can you use free fall equations to calculate the speed of a skydiver?

Yes, free fall equations can be used to calculate the speed of a skydiver. The equation for speed is v = g * t, where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

4. What is the difference between free fall and terminal velocity?

Free fall refers to the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity, with no other forces acting upon it. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach as it falls through the air due to the balance of gravitational force and air resistance. In other words, free fall is the initial stage of falling before an object reaches its terminal velocity.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its free fall?

The mass of an object does not affect its free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). However, a heavier object will experience a greater force of air resistance and will therefore reach its terminal velocity at a slower rate compared to a lighter object.