Free Modules - Another problem regarding Bland Proposition 2.2.3

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, the conversation discusses understanding Section 2.2 on free modules and needing help with the proof of Proposition 2.2.3. It also delves into the definition of a basis and how it relates to generating a module. The justification for adding the condition "where a_\alpha = 0 for almost all \alpha \in \Delta" is also discussed. Finally, the conversation concludes with a summary of the definition of a submodule and its relation to generating a module.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 2.2 on free modules and need help with the proof of Proposition 2.2.3 - that is some further help ... (for my first problem with the proof see my post "http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/free-modules-bland-proposition-2-2-3-a-13179.html")

Proposition 2.2.3 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 3531The first line of Bland's proof reads as follows:

"Proof: \(\displaystyle (1) \Longrightarrow (2)\). Since \(\displaystyle \{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta\) is a set of generators of \(\displaystyle M \), it is certainly the case that each \(\displaystyle x \in M\) can be expressed as \(\displaystyle x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha\) where \(\displaystyle a_\alpha = 0\) for almost all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta\). ... ... "Now, by definition of a basis, \(\displaystyle \{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta\) being a basis for M certainly implies that each \(\displaystyle x \in M\) can be expressed as a sum \(\displaystyle x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha\) ... ...

... ... BUT ... ... how do we know that each \(\displaystyle x \in M\) can be expressed as \(\displaystyle x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha\) where \(\displaystyle a_\alpha = 0\) for almost all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta\) ... ...

... ... specifically ... ... what/where in the definition of a basis is the justification for adding the condition "where \(\displaystyle a_\alpha = 0\) for almost all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta\)"?

Hope someone can help,

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 2.2 on free modules and need help with the proof of Proposition 2.2.3 - that is some further help ... (for my first problem with the proof see my post "http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/free-modules-bland-proposition-2-2-3-a-13179.html")

Proposition 2.2.3 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 3531The first line of Bland's proof reads as follows:

"Proof: \(\displaystyle (1) \Longrightarrow (2)\). Since \(\displaystyle \{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta\) is a set of generators of \(\displaystyle M \), it is certainly the case that each \(\displaystyle x \in M\) can be expressed as \(\displaystyle x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha\) where \(\displaystyle a_\alpha = 0\) for almost all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta\). ... ... "Now, by definition of a basis, \(\displaystyle \{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta\) being a basis for M certainly implies that each \(\displaystyle x \in M\) can be expressed as a sum \(\displaystyle x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha\) ... ...

... ... BUT ... ... how do we know that each \(\displaystyle x \in M\) can be expressed as \(\displaystyle x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha\) where \(\displaystyle a_\alpha = 0\) for almost all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta\) ... ...

... ... specifically ... ... what/where in the definition of a basis is the justification for adding the condition "where \(\displaystyle a_\alpha = 0\) for almost all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \Delta\)"?

Hope someone can help,

Peter

Let $M$ be any $R$-module and $S$ be a subset of $M$.

Then the submodule of $M$ generated by $S$ is defined as

$$\{ \sum_{\text{finite}}a_is_i:a_i\in R, s_i\in S \}$$

Summing up infinitely many elements of a module doesn't make any sense.

Now coming to your problem.
If $X=\{x_\alpha\}_{\alpha\in J}$ is a basis of $M$, then $X$ generates $M$. Use the definition of "generation" as discussed above.

I hope this helped.

Related to Free Modules - Another problem regarding Bland Proposition 2.2.3

1. What is Bland Proposition 2.2.3?

Bland Proposition 2.2.3 is a mathematical theorem that deals with the problem of determining a maximum feasible solution in a linear programming problem. It provides a method for selecting a basic feasible solution from a set of feasible solutions.

2. How does Bland Proposition 2.2.3 relate to free modules?

Bland Proposition 2.2.3 is often used in the context of free modules in algebraic geometry. It helps to determine a basis for a free module, which is a fundamental concept in this field of study.

3. What is the significance of Bland Proposition 2.2.3 in mathematics?

Bland Proposition 2.2.3 is significant because it provides a solution to a common problem in linear programming, which has many practical applications in fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science. Additionally, it is a useful tool in the study of free modules, which have important applications in algebraic geometry and other areas of mathematics.

4. Can you explain the problem that Bland Proposition 2.2.3 addresses?

The problem that Bland Proposition 2.2.3 addresses is how to select a maximum feasible solution from a set of feasible solutions in a linear programming problem. This can be a challenging task because there may be many feasible solutions that have the same objective function value. Bland Proposition 2.2.3 provides a systematic method for choosing a solution in these cases.

5. Are there any limitations to Bland Proposition 2.2.3?

Like any mathematical theorem, Bland Proposition 2.2.3 has its limitations. It may not always be applicable to all linear programming problems and there may be cases where it does not provide an optimal solution. However, it is still a useful and widely used tool in the field of linear programming and has been proven to be effective in many practical situations.