Is free will just an illusion?

• Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Free will
In summary, Harris argues that free will is an illusion because all humans' behavior is controlled by the physical properties of their brains. He believes that we have choices, and that these choices are predetermined.
bluemoonKY
About two weeks ago I read Sam Harris’ book Free Will. Harris' thesis is that free will is an illusion. The following is a very brief summary of his reasoning: All humans’ behavior is entirely controlled by the physical properties of their brains. A person did not make his or her brain. Therefore, a person does not really control their own behavior.

What do you people think about this? The thesis and his argument certainly has made me think.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought about that long before Sam Harris started speaking about it.
Everything you do is a result of your experiences, your genetics, etc. If we could take everything into account and put it in a powerful computer, it could probably predict how you will react to every situation, what decisions you'll make, and maybe what you will say at what times, making free will nonexistent.

My instinct is that there is free will even if it's conceivable that 99% of our actions can be predictable. That last 1% could still be chaotic and unpredictable.

I believe that we as humans have choices, and we can weigh up the outcomes before doing them. So we have free will, I can go kill someone tonight, or I can chose not to... it is free will, I'm making my decision freely.

We can predict that when an unbiased coin is flipped, it will have a 50/50 chance to land on heads or tails, but if that coin had the ability to chose what side to land on, the coin now becomes unpredictable.

MathJakob said:
I believe that we as humans have choices, and we can weigh up the outcomes before doing them. So we have free will, I can go kill someone tonight, or I can chose not to... it is free will, I'm making my decision freely.

You have the ability yes, but whether you will or you won't is different and that can be predictable given the calculation of necessary factors. I also could kill someone right now, but I won't and the reasons why aren't very mysterious to calculate if you study me. Humans aren't coins, unless they have a mental illness. We do things for reasons, these reasons can be discovered. All day we are motivated by internal and external factors.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You have the ability yes, but whether you will or you won't is different and that can be predictable given the calculation of necessary factors. I also could kill someone right now, but I won't and the reasons why aren't very mysterious to calculate if you study me. Humans aren't coins, unless they have a mental illness. We do things for reasons, these reasons can be discovered. All day we are motivated by internal and external factors.

Hmmm, well although we can't control our electrons ect we can control what information they carry and what the overall brain does. when you drive a motorcycle you can't control the individual engine parts, but you can control the larger picture, ie the speed.

So I guess if a computer could analyse every electron in our brains and calculate every single factor then I guess every part of us could be predicted, but I don't think a conscious thing can be predicted.

Sure I could say if I yell at you you'll punch me, but I don't think you could predict that i'll drop a coin in 18 hours 32 minutes 11 second time and when I bend down to pick it up, i'll move my hand at a certain speed and at a certain angle, and my left knee will bend x degrees ect.

MathJakob said:

We can predict that when an unbiased coin is flipped, it will have a 50/50 chance to land on heads or tails, but if that coin had the ability to chose what side to land on, the coin now becomes unpredictable.

the question of free will isn't whether we make choices; it's whether or not those choices are predetermined.

Free will appears as mysticism to me. It follows along with the concept of a soul. There doesn't seem to be any reason that we should avoid the chain of causality just because we're living: we can explain all of the things that differentiate living from unliving via deterministic mechanisms.

There's really no need for a concept like free will to explain human behavior. It's just a subjective feeling we have.

also, predictability and determinism are not mutually exclusive. Chaotic systems are a class of deterministic systems that are inherently unpredictable.

Sorry, this is "philosophy" and not science.

1. What is meant by the phrase "free will is an illusion"?

The phrase "free will is an illusion" suggests that the concept of individuals having complete control over their thoughts and actions is not as straightforward as we may believe. It proposes that our choices and decisions are influenced by factors beyond our conscious control, such as genetics, upbringing, and environmental factors.

2. Is there any evidence to support the idea that free will is an illusion?

There have been numerous studies in neuroscience and psychology that suggest our decisions and actions are heavily influenced by subconscious processes and external factors. For example, studies have shown that our brains make decisions before we are consciously aware of them, indicating that our choices may not be entirely free.

3. Does accepting the idea of free will being an illusion mean that we are not responsible for our actions?

No, accepting that free will may be an illusion does not absolve individuals of responsibility for their actions. While external factors may play a role in our decisions, we still have the ability to make choices and should be held accountable for them.

4. Can free will and determinism coexist?

Some philosophers argue that free will and determinism can coexist, as free will can be seen as the ability to make choices within the confines of deterministic factors. However, others believe that true free will cannot exist in a deterministic universe.

5. How does the idea of free will being an illusion impact society and our understanding of morality?

The concept of free will being an illusion challenges our traditional beliefs about personal responsibility and the idea of right and wrong. It may also have implications for the criminal justice system and how we hold individuals accountable for their actions. It is an ongoing debate in philosophy and science and has the potential to shape our understanding of morality and societal norms.