Freeing Electrons from Wires: A How-To Guide

In summary, it is not possible to completely empty a wire of its free electrons without extreme force, such as an atomic bomb. The force between the electrons is incredibly strong and would result in a large explosion. This is because even a small piece of metal contains a vast number of electrons that are constantly moving. Attempting to remove all of these electrons would require a significant amount of energy and would result in a tremendous force.
karawan
can i empty a wire from its free electron.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but only with an atomic bomb.

no, not possible statistically.

Did you consider the energy involved or the force?
The force between two point charges is Q1 Q2/ (4 π ε0 R2) (the Coulomb force)
For a few grams of metal, you're talking of 1023 electrons separated by, a mm or so. Put the numbers into the formula
The force will blow the top of your head off.

Under normal circumstances you only separate a very few of the total number of electrons from the atoms in a piece of wire and you still get a detectable force. When you want to take ALL of them, you get an enormous value for the force. I'll leave you to do the calculation.

Just to clarify for myself, is this talking about ALL the electrons in the metal, or only the free ones that freely move around the metal?

Related to Freeing Electrons from Wires: A How-To Guide

1. How do I free electrons from wires?

To free electrons from wires, you will need to create a circuit and apply a voltage source to the wire. This voltage will push the electrons through the wire, allowing them to move freely.

2. What materials do I need to free electrons from wires?

You will need a voltage source, such as a battery or power supply, wires to create a circuit, and a conductive material, such as copper wire, to allow the electrons to flow.

3. Can I free electrons from any type of wire?

Yes, as long as the wire is made of a conductive material, you can free electrons from it. However, some materials may be more conductive than others, making it easier to free electrons.

4. Why do I need to free electrons from wires?

Freeing electrons from wires is necessary for the flow of electricity in a circuit. Electrons carry the electrical charge and must be able to move freely to power devices and perform work.

5. Is it safe to free electrons from wires?

Freeing electrons from wires can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to use insulated wires and avoid touching exposed wires while the circuit is active. It is also important to use appropriate voltage levels to avoid electrical shocks.