Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency and phase relationship

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    Frequency is the time derivative of phase? But how?
    Can someone explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it is not.
    At least not if you use the normal meaning of "phase", in which case it is a parameter (usually a constant) which tells you the relative postion in time of two or more periodic waveforms

e.g. if you have

[itex]\sin (2\pi ft+\theta)[/itex])

then [itex]\theta[/itex] would be the phase. Note that it is only meaningfull to talk about phase when you are comparing waveforms; the "starting point" for a periodic function is arbitrary so there is no such thing as absolute phase.

4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    Group delay is a derivative of phase with respect to angular frequency:

[tex] \tau_g = -\frac{d\phi}{d\omega} [/tex]

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Sep 10, 2009 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, now I understand where you got that from.
    This is why I was refering to the "normal meaning of phase" above.

People (meaning EEs) who work with modulations schemes (in this case FM) have a tendency to refer to the argument of the sine function as "phase" ; i.e "the phase" in this case would be [itex]\omega t+\theta[/itex] and if you take the time derivative of this you obviously get [itex]\omega[/itex] (which also happens to be the angular frequency, not the frequency).

So -unless I am missing something- this is just another case of confusion due to differences between EE and physics terminology.
    The "definition" of phase I wrote above is certainly what you would find in a physics book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook