Frequency and phase relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between frequency and phase, specifically in the context of I and Q demodulation. It is clarified that frequency is not the time derivative of phase, but rather a parameter that describes the relative position of two or more periodic waveforms. The concept of group delay, which is the derivative of phase with respect to angular frequency, is also mentioned. The confusion between EE and physics terminology is highlighted, with the physics definition of phase being referenced.
likephysics
Frequency is the time derivative of phase? But how?
Can someone explain?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, it is not.
At least not if you use the normal meaning of "phase", in which case it is a parameter (usually a constant) which tells you the relative postion in time of two or more periodic waveforms

e.g. if you have

[itex]\sin (2\pi ft+\theta)[/itex])

then [itex]\theta[/itex] would be the phase. Note that it is only meaningfull to talk about phase when you are comparing waveforms; the "starting point" for a periodic function is arbitrary so there is no such thing as absolute phase.

Group delay is a derivative of phase with respect to angular frequency:

[tex] \tau_g = -\frac{d\phi}{d\omega} [/tex]

OK, now I understand where you got that from.
This is why I was referring to the "normal meaning of phase" above.

People (meaning EEs) who work with modulations schemes (in this case FM) have a tendency to refer to the argument of the sine function as "phase" ; i.e "the phase" in this case would be [itex]\omega t+\theta[/itex] and if you take the time derivative of this you obviously get [itex]\omega[/itex] (which also happens to be the angular frequency, not the frequency).

So -unless I am missing something- this is just another case of confusion due to differences between EE and physics terminology.
The "definition" of phase I wrote above is certainly what you would find in a physics book.

What is frequency?

Frequency is a measure of the number of cycles or oscillations that occur in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

What is phase relationship?

Phase relationship refers to the timing or alignment of two or more waves. It describes how the peaks and troughs of one wave correspond to those of another wave.

How is phase difference measured?

Phase difference is measured in degrees or radians and represents the amount by which one wave leads or lags behind another. It can be calculated by dividing the time difference between two corresponding points on the waves by the period of the wave.

What is the significance of frequency and phase relationship in signal processing?

The frequency and phase relationship of signals is important in signal processing because it can affect the quality and accuracy of the processed signal. In applications such as telecommunications and audio engineering, maintaining the correct frequency and phase relationship between signals is crucial for the transmission and reception of information.