Frequency & Eigenvalue from dynamic eqn

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the natural period of a vertical cantilever beam using global M & K matrices in the form [M]-w^2[K] = 0. The matrices were not diagonal, but square symmetric matrices of rank 6. The solution involves using a numerical eigensolution, such as those available in numerical analysis packages like NAG or MatLab, to solve the characteristic polynomial. Additionally, it was suggested to convert the matrix to diagonal form for a simpler solution.
rk81
Hi, i am trying to find the natural period of a vertical cantilever beam which is fixed at bottom and free at other end., i worked out the global M & K matrices and i have the eqn in the form [M]-w^2[K] = 0, the M & K are not diagonal matrices, but square symetric matrices of rank 6. i understand that w2 is the cyclic frequency, how do i solve this characteristic polynomial the matrix way.. thanks in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need a numerical eigensolution, such as is available in many numerical analysis packages (NAG, EisPack, etc.). I think MatLab probably has one as well, and there are many other sources as well.

thanks, i think i found the answer.. i need to make the matrix to diagonal form, and then the soln is simple.

Related to Frequency & Eigenvalue from dynamic eqn

What is frequency in relation to dynamic equations?

Frequency in dynamic equations refers to the number of oscillations or cycles that an object completes in a given time period. In other words, it is the rate at which a system repeats its motion or behavior.

What is an eigenvalue in a dynamic equation?

An eigenvalue in a dynamic equation is a special value that represents the behavior of a system. It is a scalar value that when multiplied by a corresponding eigenvector, gives the same vector as the result.

How is frequency related to eigenvalues in dynamic equations?

Frequency and eigenvalues are closely related in dynamic equations. The eigenvalue of a system determines the frequency at which the system will oscillate. Higher eigenvalues correspond to higher frequencies and vice versa.

Why is it important to understand frequency and eigenvalue in dynamic equations?

Frequency and eigenvalue are important concepts in understanding the behavior and stability of dynamic systems. They help in predicting how a system will respond to different inputs and disturbances, and in designing control systems to achieve desired behavior.

What are some practical applications of frequency and eigenvalue in dynamic equations?

Frequency and eigenvalue are used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are essential in the design and analysis of structures, control systems, and electronic circuits. They also have applications in signal processing, vibration analysis, and quantum mechanics.