1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency on Waves and Tension Quick Question

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. Two piano strings are supposed to be vibrating at 128 Hz, but a piano tuner hear three beats every 2 seconds when they're played together

a) If one is vibrating at 128 Hz, what must be the difference between their frequencies?
    Answer - 3 Beats Per Two Seconds, Frequency Diff = 1.5

b) By how much in percent must the tension be increased or decreased to bring them in tune?

-- B is where i'm stuck on. I have the two equations v= lambda x frequency and
    velocity = sqrt ( Tension / mass per length )

So I set both of them equal to each other and found that the Tension is proportional to the Frequency Squared?? I'm not sure if this is the right direction :( And if it is I tried putting in the number percent but it didn't work ( Sqrt 1.5 )
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    =] Bump!
  4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    another bump!
  5. Oct 8, 2008 #4
    You have standing waves in the string. The wavelength is determined by the length of the string.
    L= n (lambda/2) if it's fixed at both ends.

lambda= v/f and use v=sqrt(T/linear density)

solve these to get frequency as a function of T .

You know the relative change in frequency (1.5/128) so you can calculate the relative change in tension.
  6. Oct 9, 2008 #5
    There is an equation that shows how the "beat" frequencies occur. If you've got two sine waves, sin(A) and sin(B), and A is different from B, there's a trig identity that allows you to add them together and find sin(A + B). If you know the beat frequency and A, you can find B.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?