Finding Expression for Emitted Field: A Confused Student's Journey

In summary: Fair enough. For some reason I thought there would be another term that also has some other kind of dependence, along with ##f(t) = C e^{-t/2 \tau}##. How in the world do I go about finding C though?
MaestroBach
Homework Statement
Find the frequency spectrum of the radiated power in spontaneous emission and use it to find the DOS.
Relevant Equations
Desired result below
All I'm reallly confused on this problem is what the expression for the emitted field is. As long as I've got that, I'm good to go, but I just don't know what to use. I've tried looking for an expression for the emitted field but I've had no luck. Would appreciate any ideas or someone telling me I'm missing something obvious.

(I'm told to find the Fourier transform of the field and go from there, which is why I'm trying to find the expression for the field)
Eq. 14.68.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to give some more context.

Are you starting from the Einstein coefficients?

DrClaude said:
You have to give some more context.

Are you starting from the Einstein coefficients?

No, I'm being told to start by taking the Fourier transform of the emitted field, and as far as I'm understanding, I won't even be using the einstein coefficients.

I'm being told to calculate the Fourier transform of the emitted field to find the frequency spectrum of the radiated power, and then use that to find the DOS.

I just have absolutely no idea what the emitted field expression is, other than that it decays with the form ##e^{-t/\tau}## (Sorry I should have included that info in the original post, but now it seems like I can't even edit it).

MaestroBach said:
No, I'm being told to start by taking the Fourier transform of the emitted field, and as far as I'm understanding, I won't even be using the einstein coefficients.
Then I don't know what ##A_{21}## is.

MaestroBach said:
I'm being told to calculate the Fourier transform of the emitted field to find the frequency spectrum of the radiated power, and then use that to find the DOS.

I just have absolutely no idea what the emitted field expression is, other than that it decays with the form ##e^{-t/\tau}## (Sorry I should have included that info in the original post, but now it seems like I can't even edit it).
Do you have the full text of the question?

DrClaude said:
Then I don't know what ##A_{21}## is.Do you have the full text of the question?

Yeah, it is:
14.5.png

where eq 14.68 is what I have in the original post.

So the problem tells you that the field is ##\propto e^{-t/2 \tau}##, i.e., ##f(t) = C e^{-t/2 \tau}##, with C a constant. That is your starting point.

DrClaude said:
So the problem tells you that the field is ##\propto e^{-t/2 \tau}##, i.e., ##f(t) = C e^{-t/2 \tau}##, with C a constant. That is your starting point.
Fair enough. For some reason I thought there would be another term that also has some other kind of dependence, along with ##f(t) = C e^{-t/2 \tau}##. How in the world do I go about finding C though?

So I've gone and tried ##f(t) = Ce^{\frac{-t}{2\tau}}##, but that does not give me the correct answer. It actually comes close, but I get ##E^2## instead of ##(E - \hbar \omega_{21})^2## like my answer is supposed to be (correct answer in OP), which makes me suspect my electric field expression is still incorrect. If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

1. What is "Finding Expression for Emitted Field: A Confused Student's Journey" about?

"Finding Expression for Emitted Field: A Confused Student's Journey" is a scientific journey that follows a student's struggle to understand and find the correct expression for an emitted field in a given scenario.

2. Why is finding the expression for an emitted field important?

Finding the expression for an emitted field is important because it allows us to accurately describe and understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various scenarios. This is crucial for many applications in science and technology.

3. What are some common challenges students face when trying to find the expression for an emitted field?

Some common challenges students face include understanding the underlying principles and equations, applying the correct mathematical techniques, and visualizing the behavior of the field in different scenarios.

4. How can one improve their understanding of finding expression for an emitted field?

One can improve their understanding by practicing and solving various problems, seeking help from teachers or peers, and familiarizing themselves with the relevant equations and principles.

5. Are there any resources available to help students with finding expression for an emitted field?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems that can help students improve their understanding of finding expression for an emitted field.