Fresh graduate career advice in Chip Design

In summary, the individual recently passed the Electronics Engineering Licensure exam in the Philippines and is planning to pursue a career in chip design, preferably mixed-signal or digital. They have applied to different semiconductor companies but have found that these companies only conduct tests and troubleshooting, not design IC's. The individual plans to work as a test engineer for a while and then move to either Japan or the US after 5 years. They are a dual US/Filipino citizen and are asking for advice on how to increase their skills and experience to compete with applicants in the US within 5-7 years. They are willing to take up a master's degree and devote their free time to studying. They also ask about the necessary documents needed to
iampaul
I have recently passed the Electronics Engineering Licensure exam in the philippines and I'm plannning to pursue a career in chip design preferably mixed signal or digital. I have applied at different semiconductor companies. The problem is they don't design the IC's here, they only conduct tests and troubleshooting. I am planning to work as a test engineer for a while then work in japan or the US after 5 years. I will most likely go to the US rather than Japan since I am a dual US/Filipino Citizen.

I humbly ask for any advice on how I could increase my skills and experience in order to compete with applicants in the US within 5 years or 7 years. i am willing to take up my masters degree and to devote most of my free time to studying. I know that the competition would be tough since there are also skilled and experienced applicants coming from other countries, which is why I am taking this preparation seriously.

Also, what documents would I need in order to work in the US. Right now, I only have my US passport, birth certificate and a social security card. Also my academic records started excellent with many As and A+, but I slowly grew tired and got a lot of low grades and even 1 failing grade. Although, I was among the top 10 in the national electronics engineering licensure exam with over 6000 examinees all over the country with only 33% national passing rate, would that be enough to compensate for my poor grades at the university. Thank you for your time, and any reply would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

I'm a mixed-signal design engineer working in California so I can hopefully help. First off, since you have a US passport and social security card you are all set when it comes to living and working in the USA. When you get hired you will need to show your passport and social security card but you need no other documents. The US is much more open to hiring engineers from overseas than Japan so I agree planning on the US is smart.

I am not familiar with your Licensure. Do you have a college degree in Electrical Engineering? I can tell you that for the most part the entry-level degree for an IC designer is the MS, with the PhD common (especially in mixed-signal work). if it is possible, I highly recommend you go to graduate school in EE with a focus on IC design in the US if you want to work here. It will make it much, much easier for you to obtain employment.

Also, you didn't ask about this but I should say that mixed-signal and digital design are quite different. They use very different tools and analysis techniques, so it is incredibly difficult to be an expert in both. So pick one. In California, there are many fewer mixed-signal jobs than digital jobs, but also many fewer qualified applicants so I would say mixed-signal is a hotter area. However, companies tend to value graduate work in mixed-signal design due to the nature of the work. It is very, very hard to find a mixed-signal designer under the age of 40 with just a BS.

So my advice is simple. Get an MS in EE with a specialization in IC design from a US university. Working as a test engineer would be good experience while you apply to graduate schools and will help with your application (as will your fantastic performance on the licensure exam).

Good luck!

Thanks for answering my questions. I have a degree in Electronics Engineering. I'll follow your advice to take up graduate school in the US. For now, I still have to work and save money to study in the US. Can I just take my MS here and take my Ph.D in the US, or would that be more difficult?

If it is possible, the best path forward would be to get admitted directly to a PhD program in the US and get your MS along the way. Universities often, but not always, offer support to their MS students who are in the PhD program. Otherwise, an MS in your country would probably be ok. I would try to get work in the US with the MS while I was applying to PhD programs but that is up to you to decide.

1. What skills and qualifications are needed to pursue a career in chip design as a fresh graduate?

To pursue a career in chip design as a fresh graduate, it is important to have a strong foundation in electronics, computer science, and mathematics. Knowledge of programming languages such as Verilog and VHDL, as well as experience with industry-standard design software, is also necessary. Additionally, having a degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field is typically required by employers.

2. How can I gain hands-on experience in chip design as a fresh graduate?

One way to gain hands-on experience in chip design as a fresh graduate is through internships or co-op programs with companies in the industry. These opportunities allow you to work on real-world projects and learn from experienced professionals. You can also participate in design competitions, attend workshops and conferences, and work on personal projects to enhance your skills and knowledge in chip design.

3. What are the job prospects for fresh graduates in chip design?

The job prospects for fresh graduates in chip design are generally positive. The demand for skilled chip designers continues to grow as technology advances and the need for efficient and innovative electronic devices increases. Many companies in the tech industry, including semiconductor manufacturers, consumer electronics companies, and research institutions, offer job opportunities in this field.

4. What advice do you have for fresh graduates seeking a career in chip design?

My advice for fresh graduates seeking a career in chip design is to continuously improve your skills and knowledge through self-study, internships, and networking. Keep up with the latest industry trends and developments, and be open to learning new technologies and techniques. It is also important to build a strong portfolio and showcase your projects and achievements to potential employers.

5. What can I expect in terms of salary and career growth as a fresh graduate in chip design?

The starting salary for fresh graduates in chip design can vary depending on the company, location, and your qualifications. However, with experience and a strong track record, you can expect to earn a competitive salary and have opportunities for career growth in this field. As you gain more experience and take on more complex projects, you can advance to higher positions such as senior chip designer, team lead, or project manager.