1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction (angle of incline)

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    Hey would someone mind taking a crack at this one? I know the final answer is 28.73, however I can't figure out the equation to get it.

On a certain inclined plane, a body weighs 50N and requires a force of 35N to pull it up the incline. If the coefficient of friction is 0.25, find the angle of the incline.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you take a crack at it?

Call the angle θ and analyze the forces acting on the body as it is pulled up the incline.

4. Jul 27, 2010 #3
    at what angle is the force being applied?

5. Jul 27, 2010 #4
    well, first you need to remember that the weight (50N) is directed downwards, but the force of friction needs the weight applied PERPENDICULAR to the surface. Find this, then you will get your angle.

6. Jul 28, 2010 #5
    parallel

7. Jul 28, 2010 #6
    no. you must have misunderstood.
    I meant the angle perp. multiplied by the coeff. of friction will give u your force countering the 35N (which is assumed to be equal). so fill in the blanks to find the angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook