Friction Challenge Problem - Finding Distance Required To Stop.

In summary, to stop a 2,345kg car traveling at 65mph on a 5.74 degree incline, the driver would need to apply a force of 1,410N and the car would need to stop at a distance of 1,092.5 meters.
VivianC
I need help finding the answer for this physics problem that I have to do.

A 2,345kg car is traveling down a highway entrance ramp, at an angle of 5.74 degree at 65 miles/hours and slams on its brakes to keep from hitting another car. If the coefficient of friction between the tires and the roads is 0.403, what is the distance required to stop?

According to one of my friend, he found the Applied Force and Normal Force, and then Friction Force. Afterward he did Net Force and he is just stuck.

I'm not completely sure how to do this problem or even know what friction formula to use for it to be correct.
Help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Easiest way to do this is to have your x coordinate run along the ramp, and y perpendicular. That way, gravity doesn't point along y, but you only have to deal with one constraint. Specifically, sum of all forces in y direction is zero, because the car can neither fall through ground nor fly off.

The two forces along y are the component of gravity perpendicular to road and the normal force. Use this fact to find normal force, and use that to find friction.

That leaves you with two forces in x direction. There is friction and the x component of gravity. Add them together, and you have your acceleration in x direction, which you can use to compute stopping distance.

The speeding car has a certain amount of kinetic energy = 1/2(mv2).
The action of the braking friction needs to "eat up" all that kinetic energy, and it does so by performing work against the car's kinetic energy, so that work is (Frictional Force) x (Distance over which the friction is acting).

Frictional force is related to the weight of the car acting on the pavement x the coefficient of friction. But because there's an incline, you need to do some trigonometry to figure out what the component of the car's weight is acting down the slope. Also you need the trig to figure out the actual vector of the car's weight acting on the pavement so you get the frictional force calculated correctly.

If the car were not on an incline, then you would simply equate the kinetic energy of the car with the work done by the friction and solve for the stopping distance. But because the car is on an incline, some of the car's weight is working to negate some of the frictional force.

I hope that helps.

It's not that hard man!

I can provide you with some guidance on how to approach this friction challenge problem. First, we need to understand the basic principles behind friction. Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object and is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact. In this case, the tires of the car are in contact with the road surface.

To solve this problem, we will need to use the equation for friction force:

Ff = μN

Where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

To start, we need to calculate the normal force acting on the car. This force is equal to the weight of the car, which can be calculated using the mass of the car and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

N = mg = (2345 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 22991 N

Next, we need to calculate the applied force on the car, which is the force of the brakes. This force can be calculated using the kinetic energy equation:

KE = 1/2mv^2

Where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the car, and v is the initial velocity.

KE = (1/2)(2345 kg)(29.06 m/s)^2 = 989,259 J

Since the car is coming to a stop, all of this kinetic energy will be converted into work done by the brakes. Therefore, the applied force is equal to the work done by the brakes divided by the distance traveled:

F = W/d

Where F is the applied force, W is the work done, and d is the distance traveled.

F = (989,259 J)/d

Now, we can use the equation for friction force to find the distance required to stop:

Ff = μN = (0.403)(22991 N) = 9257 N

Setting the friction force equal to the applied force, we can solve for d:

Ff = F

μN = (989,259 J)/d

d = (989,259 J)/(μN) = (989,259 J)/(9257 N) = 106.8 m

Therefore, the distance required to stop the car is approximately 107 meters.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the process for solving this friction problem. Remember, it is important to clearly identify the given

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the movement of objects when they are in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect an object's movement?

Friction can slow down or stop an object's movement by converting its kinetic energy into heat.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the types of materials, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the distance required to stop an object?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. The higher the coefficient, the greater the friction and the shorter the stopping distance for an object.

5. How can I calculate the distance required to stop an object given the coefficient of friction and other variables?

The distance required to stop an object can be calculated using the equation d = v2 / (2μg), where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity of the object, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the object is moving on a level surface with constant friction and no external forces.