1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction coefficient on a rotating cylinder [mechanics]

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is a picture of the problem I am trying to solve in a book. The problem I am having trouble with is #4 (the solution is provided in the brackets below the question -> 0.432)
    http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/241/questiona.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Ff=uma
    etc...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried accounting for all the possible cases (including all free body diagrams I could think of) - Fg, and two Fn's and Ff's on both sides of contact (as well as individually). I have drawn all of my Fn's and Fg's through the center of gravity, which I am not entirely sure about. All of my attempts have so far given me a different number from the suggested solution.
    In particular, I was hoping someone could help me out with the present forces and how they are drawn on the free body diagram (center of gravity?). Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi albatross84! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Yes, you're right not to be sure :wink:

reaction forces always go through the point of contact (so in this case they'll also go though C) …

only the weight goes through the centre of mass :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook