1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Force and Distance Traveled

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At a local hockey rink, a puck with a mass of .12kg is given an initial speed of 5.3m/s. If the coefficient of friction is .11, what distance does the puck slide before coming to rest?

2. Relevant equations
    F(net)=ma, F(friction)=Coeff. x F(normal)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know where to start.. You cant find the acceleration because we dont know the time or distance, so how do you get the net force? If i could get the acceleration i could get the net force and then the distance. Im so lost..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Trenier, welcome to PF!
    Use your first equation to solve for the acceleration. You know m, and you should be able to identify F_net. What forces act on the puck?

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    You cant use the first equation becuase you dont know the acceleration. Forces acting on the puck are the Force of the stick giving it the velocity, the normal force, the friction force and the weight.

5. Sep 17, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

but you know the mass and you should know the net force acting on it in the horizontal direction.
    yes, but this force disappears when the puck reaches its initial velocity and the stick loses contact with it
    yes, use these to calculate F_net.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?