1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction is a Scalar

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1
    In examining the work energy theorem on vector fields, I have concluded that friction must be a scalar field with a negative value. This is because one must integrate the line integral with respect to ds instead of the function dotted with dr. Am I correct in my understanding or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Friction" is a phenomenon, not a quantity So what you wrote cannot be what you mean.

4. Mar 29, 2015 #3
    All physical Phenomena are quantities

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
  5. Mar 29, 2015 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is friction dependent on location alone (as might be expected for a scalar field)?
    If it did, wouldn't it be associated with a conservative field?

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nonsense. "Motion" is not a quantity, but "velocity" is. "Space" is not a quantity, but "length" and "volume" are.

You started this thread with a title that is incorrect, and in message 3, your entire message was an incorrect statement. Making incorrect statements hoping that someone will correct you is a frustrating and inefficient way to learn.

7. Mar 31, 2015 #6
    I think I understand. Is there a unit vector which can be used to signify that friction is opposite to the direction of motion?

8. Mar 31, 2015 #7
    Now I see my ignorance. My assumption was that the scalar form of friction was the Vector form of friction. I realize now that friction needs to be multiplied by the unit tangent vector. Thanks for correcting me.

9. Mar 31, 2015 #8
    There is "friction", a phenomenon, and there is the "friction force". The first is neither vector nor scalar. The second is a vector, as any type of force.
    Same as "gravity" is a phenomenon and the weight or "force of gravity" is a force. People (especially students) tend to use "gravity" when they mean the force of attraction.
    This is OK in general but it may create confusion sometimes.

Multiplying the friction by a unit vector (or by anything else) is not a valid operation.
    You can multiply the magnitude of the friction force by a unit vector, if you wish. Indeed the friction force is tangent to the surfaces in contact.

And I think I understand (maybe) your problem.
    If you look at the equation
    Ff=μN, it makes sense for the magnitudes of the forces but not in vector form. The friction force is not parallel to the normal force.

10. Mar 31, 2015 #9
    yes but the normal force in this situation is not a vector in this sense but simply a coefficient.

11. Mar 31, 2015 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, the normal force is a force. And force is a vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook