Confirming if Friction is a Scalar: Examining the Work Energy Theorem

In summary, In examining the work energy theorem on vector fields, it has been concluded that friction must be a scalar field with a negative value. This is because one must integrate the line integral with respect to ds instead of the function dotted with dr. Friction is a phenomenon and not a quantity, and all physical phenomena are quantities. Friction force, on the other hand, is a vector and it is tangent to the surfaces in contact. Multiplying the magnitude of the friction force by a unit vector is a valid operation, but the friction force itself cannot be multiplied by a unit vector. The normal force is also a force and is a vector, and it is not parallel to the friction force. The equation Ff=μN makes sense
Timothy S
In examining the work energy theorem on vector fields, I have concluded that friction must be a scalar field with a negative value. This is because one must integrate the line integral with respect to ds instead of the function dotted with dr. Am I correct in my understanding or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Friction" is a phenomenon, not a quantity So what you wrote cannot be what you mean.

All physical Phenomena are quantities

Last edited by a moderator:
Is friction dependent on location alone (as might be expected for a scalar field)?
If it did, wouldn't it be associated with a conservative field?

Timothy S said:
All physical Phenomena are quantities

Nonsense. "Motion" is not a quantity, but "velocity" is. "Space" is not a quantity, but "length" and "volume" are.

You started this thread with a title that is incorrect, and in message 3, your entire message was an incorrect statement. Making incorrect statements hoping that someone will correct you is a frustrating and inefficient way to learn.

I think I understand. Is there a unit vector which can be used to signify that friction is opposite to the direction of motion?

Now I see my ignorance. My assumption was that the scalar form of friction was the Vector form of friction. I realize now that friction needs to be multiplied by the unit tangent vector. Thanks for correcting me.

There is "friction", a phenomenon, and there is the "friction force". The first is neither vector nor scalar. The second is a vector, as any type of force.
Same as "gravity" is a phenomenon and the weight or "force of gravity" is a force. People (especially students) tend to use "gravity" when they mean the force of attraction.
This is OK in general but it may create confusion sometimes.

Multiplying the friction by a unit vector (or by anything else) is not a valid operation.
You can multiply the magnitude of the friction force by a unit vector, if you wish. Indeed the friction force is tangent to the surfaces in contact.

And I think I understand (maybe) your problem.
If you look at the equation
Ff=μN, it makes sense for the magnitudes of the forces but not in vector form. The friction force is not parallel to the normal force.

Likes Vatsal Sanjay
yes but the normal force in this situation is not a vector in this sense but simply a coefficient.

No, the normal force is a force. And force is a vector.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion or tendency to move between two surfaces in contact.

Is friction a scalar or vector quantity?

Friction is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the Work Energy Theorem?

The Work Energy Theorem states that the work done by the net force on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

How can the Work Energy Theorem be used to confirm if friction is a scalar?

If friction is a scalar quantity, it will not have a direction and will not contribute to the work done on an object. Therefore, if the Work Energy Theorem holds true in an experiment where friction is present, it can be concluded that friction is a scalar quantity.

What are the possible implications if friction is found to be a vector quantity instead of a scalar?

If friction is a vector quantity, it means that it has a direction and can contribute to the work done on an object. This could affect the calculations and predictions made in various scientific fields, such as engineering and physics.