Friction on a flat rotating surface

In summary: The wider cylinder slows less after being spun up, because it has a greater MOI, not because it has less friction.
waverider
If I push an object such as a cylinder of wood along a flat table (flat face of cylinder in contact with the table) through it's center of mass, the friction or energy required is not dependent of the surface area the block makes with the table, Friction = μ N, correct? And the energy required = friction force x distance.

However, if I now rotate the cylinder about the center of mass (axis of rotation normal to the table) then does the friction (and energy required to rotate the block) depend on the surface area of the block in contact with the table (block weight and coefficient of friction are constant)?
Obviously the mathematics is going to be a lot more complicated for the rotating block but I suspect the diameter of the block will affect the friction and energy require to turn the block one revolution. Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
waverider said:
the mathematics is going to be a lot more complicated for the rotating block
If rotating on the spot it is easy. Consider a small area dA of a cylinder radius R, mass M. The normal force is proportional to dA, so the frictional force is too: μgM.dA/(πR2). All the frictional forces are tangential. The torque they exert varies as radius. So total torque is μgM∫r2.drdθ/(πR2) = μMg(2πR3/3)/(πR2) = 2μMgR/3.
Since the MoI is MR2/2, the angular acceleration is 4μg/(3R).

If rotating and sliding linearly it becomes extremely nasty. I believe it would not follow a straight line. Ever watched the Scots/Irish/Canadian/NZ sport of curling?

Likes waverider
Great! thanks for the confirmation and equations.

Yeah, I have seen the sports curling...fun to watch, and I agree the math could get very nasty.

waverider said:
Great! thanks for the confirmation and equations.
Note that the wider cylinder slows less after being spun up, because it has a greater MOI, not because it has less friction. The frictional torque is greater for the wider base, so takes more energy to turn it against friction, at constant angular speed.

Likes waverider
A.T. said:
Note that the wider cylinder slows less after being spun up, because it has a greater MOI, not because it has less friction. The frictional torque is greater for the wider base, so takes more energy to turn it against friction, at constant angular speed.
Yes, a good point to bring up - I have recently seen some people on YT make this very mistake.

1. What is friction on a flat rotating surface?

Friction on a flat rotating surface refers to the resistance or force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other and one of them is rotating. This frictional force is caused by the interaction between the molecules on the two surfaces.

2. How does friction affect the rotation of a flat surface?

Friction can have both positive and negative effects on the rotation of a flat surface. It can help to keep the surface in motion by providing traction and preventing slipping. However, too much friction can also slow down or even stop the rotation of the surface.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on a flat rotating surface?

The amount of friction on a flat rotating surface is affected by several factors including the type of material of the surface, the speed of rotation, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants.

4. How can friction on a flat rotating surface be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce friction on a flat rotating surface. One method is to use lubricants such as oil or grease to create a barrier between the two surfaces. Another way is to use materials with low coefficients of friction, such as Teflon or graphite, on the surface.

5. Can friction on a flat rotating surface be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate friction on a flat rotating surface. Friction is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces are in contact with each other. However, it can be reduced to a certain extent through the use of lubricants and other methods.