Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fridge water line

1. Dec 23, 2009 #1
    I just bought a new fridge and sold my previous fridge, so I disconnected the copper line to the old fridge. I turned the valve to the fridge line off but there still is a slow drip. I haven't connected it to the new fridge yet since we are putting new cabinets and placing the fridge in a new position. Somebody told me that you could use vise grips to close the copper line that went to the fridge, or do I have to get a fitting to stop this leak.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're getting a slow drip with the valve closed, replace the valve. It has probably gotten mineral deposits on it over time and doesn't close completely. While you have everything apart anyway, it's a good and easy time to replace the valve in case you ever do have a bigger leak and NEED to close it completely to work on it.

4. Dec 23, 2009 #3
    yeah it is coated with mineral deposits, Im going to the store right now to place jb weld on it for a temp fix. We are ripping out all of cabinets so I will place the new valve than.

5. Dec 23, 2009 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ask yourself what avoiding a flood is worth to you, then cap it off properly until you're ready to plumb in the new appliance.

6. Dec 23, 2009 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just a piece of copper tubing. I would crimp it shut then replace it later.

7. Dec 23, 2009 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If it's just dripping, I wouldn't even bother replacing the valve - just crimp the tube until installing the new fridge!

A leaky valve can't cause a flood.

8. Dec 23, 2009 #7
    You will be needing a new flex water line and shut off valve anyway. Just crimp the old line and wait.

9. Dec 23, 2009 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

get a bigger hammer!

10. Dec 23, 2009 #9
    I crimped it, no leaks

11. Dec 24, 2009 #10
    Since when do fridges need a water pipe?!

12. Dec 24, 2009 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since they had a cooled water supply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook