Frobenius method solution for linear ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a second-order linear differential equation with variable coefficients and the use of logarithmic terms in the general solution. The provided solution is evaluated and found to be incorrect, and reference is given to a related question on a website for further clarification. It is noted that a fundamental solution is missing from the provided solution.
zokomoko
I've been given the ODE:
x^2 u''-x (x u'-u)=0
Solve.

It's suppose to be an example in which a logarithmic term is required for the general solution.
I would be glad if someone could look at what I've done and see if my solution is correct / incorrect.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort :wink:

p.s: I've attached a zip file which contains a WMF type file of the problem, if anyone has mathtype it's easier to read than the attached GIF image.

Attachments

• Madar.jpg
    Madar.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 972
  • Madar.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 210
Physics news on Phys.org
Your 1st solution of y = x is correct, but the other solution is wrong.

Please refer to the below question in http://www.voofie.com" .

http://www.voofie.com/content/86/how-to-solve-this-2nd-order-linear-differential-equation/"

The question solves an inhomogeneous version of your question using http://www.voofie.com/content/84/solving-linear-non-homogeneous-ordinary-differential-equation-with-variable-coefficients-with-operat/" .

If there is an inhomogeneous function of f(x), the solution should be:
[tex] \Rightarrow y=C_1x\int e^xx^{-2} dx+ C_2 x+x\int \left(e^xx^{-2} \int e^{-x} x f(x)dx\right) \, dx[/tex]

And you can see, the fundamental solution that you are missing is:
[tex]x\int e^xx^{-2} dx[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Frobenius method for solving linear ODEs?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to find a power series solution for a linear ordinary differential equation (ODE) with variable coefficients. It is particularly useful for solving ODEs with singular points, where other methods such as separation of variables or substitution may fail.

2. How does the Frobenius method work?

The Frobenius method involves expressing the unknown function as a power series and substituting it into the ODE. This results in a recurrence relation between the coefficients of the power series. By solving this recurrence relation, we can determine the coefficients and thus obtain the power series solution.

3. What types of ODEs can the Frobenius method solve?

The Frobenius method is most commonly used for second-order linear ODEs with variable coefficients. However, it can also be applied to higher-order ODEs and systems of linear ODEs, as long as they have singular points.

4. What are the advantages of using the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method allows us to find a power series solution for ODEs with singular points, which cannot be solved using other methods. It also provides a more general solution compared to other techniques, as the power series can be truncated to any desired order to obtain an approximate solution.

5. Are there any limitations to the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method may not work for all types of ODEs, particularly those with non-isolated singular points or those with non-analytic coefficients. In addition, the process of solving the recurrence relation can be tedious and time-consuming. Other methods may be more efficient for certain types of ODEs.