From Mathematica into MathType

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to copy and paste a large equation from Mathematica into MathType in Word, but MathType is saying the equation is too large. They need to do this for supplementary info for a publication and are looking for ideas or workarounds. They have been directed to follow detailed instructions, but the equation may still be too large. A possible workaround suggested is to break down the equation in Mathematica before copying it and then pasting it as MathML into Notepad.
jemma
I want to copy and paste a very large equation from Mathematica into MathType in Word however MathType is saying my equation is too large. I need to do this for supplementary info for a publication. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
jemma said:
I want to copy and paste a very large equation from Mathematica into MathType in Word however MathType is saying my equation is too large. I need to do this for supplementary info for a publication. Any ideas?

We have detailed instructions on how to copy Mathematica equations and paste them into MathType: http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathtype/works_with.htm?target=mathematica"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply. I think my equation is too large to paste into MathType, is there any way around this? Thanks again.

If you're following the instructions in the article I linked to (and I assume you are), I know of only one workaround to the problem you're seeing. That is, if there's some way you can break down the equation in Mathematica before you copy it -- perhaps separate it by "left of =" and "right of =". I don't have Mathematica here, so I can't try that.

Can you go through the process up to the point where you copy it as MathML, then paste the MathML into Notepad, save it, and post it here as an attachment?

There are a few potential solutions to this issue. One option is to try breaking the equation into smaller parts and pasting them into MathType separately. Another option is to use a different software program, such as LaTeX, to typeset the equation and then import it into MathType. Additionally, you could reach out to the MathType support team for assistance or try adjusting the settings in MathType to accommodate larger equations. It may also be helpful to check if there are any limitations on the equation size for the publication you are submitting to. Overall, it may require some trial and error, but with some persistence and potential adjustments, you should be able to successfully transfer your equation into MathType for your publication.

1. What is "From Mathematica into MathType"?

"From Mathematica into MathType" is a feature that allows users to transfer mathematical equations and expressions from the Mathematica software into the MathType software. This allows for easier editing and formatting of equations for use in documents, presentations, and other materials.

2. How do I use "From Mathematica into MathType"?

To use "From Mathematica into MathType", first open the Mathematica notebook containing the equation you want to transfer. Then, select the equation and go to the "File" menu. From there, select "Save as Special" and choose "MathType Equation" as the file type. This will save the equation in a format that can be opened and edited in MathType.

3. Can I transfer multiple equations at once?

Yes, you can transfer multiple equations at once using "From Mathematica into MathType". Simply select all the equations you want to transfer before following the steps mentioned above. This will save all the equations as separate MathType files.

4. Is "From Mathematica into MathType" compatible with all versions of Mathematica and MathType?

"From Mathematica into MathType" is compatible with Mathematica versions 3.0 and higher, and MathType versions 3.0 and higher. However, some features may not be available in older versions of either software.

5. Can I edit the equations in MathType after transferring them from Mathematica?

Yes, you can edit the equations in MathType after transferring them from Mathematica. This allows for further customization and formatting of the equations for your specific needs.