From mathematical physics to experimental physics

In summary, it is difficult to transition from one field of physics to another after earning a PhD. It is easier to go from theory to experiment, but finding a job and funding can be a challenge. For those with a PhD in theory, they can try working for free with an experimental group or start working on theory with their current skills. The opposite is also possible, but it is less common and relies on being in the right group.
LSMOG
Hi, I like mathematical physics and experimental physics, is it possible to change from one to another of these fields after earning PhD from one of them?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The set of practical stills is quite different. I would say that it is basically impossible to work with modern experiments if you haven't done an experimental Ph.D. The converse is a bit easier, as anyone with a Ph.D. in physics can play around with equations.

At what level are you currently studying? From your post history, I get the feeling that it is a bit early for you to ask yourself such a question.

The transition from experiment to theory is easier than from theory to experiment. The thing to worry about is how you are going to earn a living during the transition. Transitioning to the point where you can have reliable grant funding and stay on tenure track at an R1 school is a bigger challenge than just doing productive work in the field and publishing papers.

If I had a PhD in theory and wanted to work in experiment, I would get a teaching job at a teaching focused school and offer my services for free to an experimental group at a nearby R1 university. Odds are you can find one that will have you, and if you show up regularly and are hard working and careful, the grad students will begin showing you the ropes in their experimental operations. If you are making real contributions, you will eventually be offered co-authorship on some of their papers. This is probably the most dependable path to productive experimental work.

There are more options for someone with a PhD in experiment who wants to work in theory. Since theory is much less expensive to pursue, you can just start working on it with whatever skills you have if you find a problem that matches those skills. You can try and attach yourself to a local theory group at a nearby university, but you need to consider what skills you might have that will interest them. Good programming skills are likely a ticket if you are willing to work for free.

But there are not many paths for a theorist to get paid to become an experimentalist and vice versa. You got to do it for love rather than for money.

I've known theorists who have joined experimentalist groups (to work as theorists) who have gotten increasingly involved in experiments, almost by exposure. They're still predominantly theorists, but do contribute to experimental work. But that sort of thing relies on being in the right sort of group, which is not necessarily something to rely on. But is it possible? Yes.

Likes Dr. Courtney

1. What is the difference between mathematical physics and experimental physics?

Mathematical physics involves using mathematical models and equations to describe physical phenomena and make predictions, while experimental physics involves conducting experiments and collecting data to understand and test these phenomena.

2. How do mathematical and experimental physics work together?

Mathematical and experimental physics work together by providing complementary approaches to understanding the same physical phenomena. Mathematical models can help to guide and interpret experimental results, while experiments can provide data to validate or refine mathematical theories.

3. What are some examples of mathematical physics?

Some examples of mathematical physics include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. These fields use mathematical tools and concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to describe and explain physical phenomena.

4. How does experimental physics contribute to scientific advancements?

Experimental physics contributes to scientific advancements by providing empirical evidence and data to support or refute mathematical models and theories. It also allows for the development and testing of new technologies and innovations that can further our understanding of the physical world.

5. What skills are necessary for a career in mathematical or experimental physics?

Some important skills for a career in mathematical or experimental physics include a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to design and conduct experiments. Effective communication skills are also important for presenting research findings and collaborating with other scientists.