From physics BSc to materials PhD, will bad math grades hurt?

In summary, the person is currently applying for a materials science PhD and is double majoring in physics and applied math. They are concerned about getting a C in their discrete math course and already have a C in a previous physics course. They are wondering if this will affect their chances of getting into materials science grad schools, despite having strong research recommendations. They are considering dropping the class, but are unsure if it is the best decision.
faradayfan
Hi all,

I have an urgent question.. I am currently applying to materials science PhD, and double majoring in physics and applied math. I haven't had much time to study for my (intro) discrete math course and will likely get a C... I already have a C from sophomore year statistical physics course, so I am bummed. All my other grades are mostly A's (in math) and mostly B's (in physics), as I am coming from a top undergrad program and grading is pretty harsh.

How much would materials science gradschools care about a C in discrete math, given I have two great research recs? Should I opt out of the class at this point while I still have the option, despite having done work for it ?

Thanks for any help...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the option of dropping the class with no penalty? Definitely do that then.

1. Will my low math grades in my BSc affect my chances of getting into a materials PhD program?

While having strong math skills is important for a materials PhD program, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your overall academic performance, letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statement are also important factors that can outweigh a low math grade. Additionally, if you have taken advanced math courses related to materials science, it can demonstrate your aptitude and interest in the field.

2. Can I still succeed in a materials PhD program with bad math grades?

It may be more challenging, but it is still possible to succeed in a materials PhD program with bad math grades. You may need to work harder and potentially take additional math courses to catch up, but as long as you have a strong understanding of the fundamentals and a passion for the subject, you can still excel in your studies and research.

3. Should I retake math courses to improve my chances of getting into a materials PhD program?

If you have the time and resources, retaking math courses and improving your grades can certainly strengthen your application. However, it is also important to focus on other aspects of your application, such as research experience and strong letters of recommendation. You can also showcase your improved math skills by taking advanced math courses related to materials science.

4. Are there any materials PhD programs that do not require strong math skills?

While most materials PhD programs do require a strong foundation in math, there may be some programs that have more flexibility in their math requirements. It is important to research and reach out to individual programs to inquire about their specific requirements and if they offer any accommodations for applicants with weaker math backgrounds.

5. What can I do to improve my math skills before applying to a materials PhD program?

There are several steps you can take to improve your math skills before applying to a materials PhD program. You can take additional math courses, especially those related to materials science, to strengthen your understanding. You can also seek out tutoring or online resources to improve your math abilities. Additionally, actively practicing and applying math concepts through research or internships can also help improve your skills.