From what theorem does this technique come from?

• Thread starter omoplata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, a theorem is a mathematical statement or principle that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and evidence. It differs from other mathematical concepts as it is a proven statement, rather than an assumption or definition. The purpose of using theorems in science is to provide a foundation of proven truths and ensure the accuracy of scientific theories. Techniques can be derived from theorems by using the principles and logical reasoning behind them. It is important to cite the theorem that a technique comes from to give credit, allow for further investigation, and establish validity and reliability.
omoplata
The attached image is from "Quantum Mechanics: A self contained course" by Atkinson and Hounkonnou.

I've seen this used a lot, and I know this is simple, but I still don't know the principle behind this. From what theorem does this method come from? Can someone give me something like a Wikipedia link please?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!

FAQ: From what theorem does this technique come from?

What is a theorem?

A theorem is a mathematical statement or principle that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and evidence.

How does a theorem differ from other mathematical concepts?

A theorem is different from other mathematical concepts because it is a statement that has been proven to be true, while other concepts may be assumptions or definitions.

What is the purpose of using theorems in science?

Theorems are used in science to provide a foundation of proven truths that can be used to build upon and make further discoveries. They also help to ensure the accuracy and validity of scientific theories and models.

What techniques can be derived from theorems?

Techniques can be derived from theorems by using the principles and logical reasoning behind the theorem to develop new methods or approaches to solving problems.

Why is it important to cite the theorem that a technique comes from?

Citing the theorem that a technique comes from is important because it gives credit to the original source and allows others to further investigate and understand the reasoning behind the technique. It also helps to establish the validity and reliability of the technique.