FRR Measurement in Digital Oscilloscope

In summary, the Digital Oscilloscope measures the delay between two signals using a Square Pulse of 2V with an offset of 1 V. The trigger level of the oscilloscope does not affect the measurement. The mean of 1000 samples fluctuated and so does the standard deviation. The rising pulse is not strictly "square", how does your oscilloscope measure the FRR in this case?
shahbaznihal
Hello,

This is my first post in this domain and I am fairly novice in this subject, so please bear with me.

I have a GDS-20174A Digital Oscilloscope. I am trying to measure the delay between two BNC cables using a Square Pulse of 2V with an offset of 1 V using the oscilloscope. I am using the FRR measurement to do so. My question is,
1) Does the trigger level of the oscilloscope concerns the FRR measurement?
2) The mean of 1000 samples fluctuated and so does the standard deviation?
3) The rising pulse is not strictly "square", how does your oscilloscope measure the FRR in this case?

Moreover, these measurements depend significantly on the timebase of the oscilloscope. The manual of the oscilloscope is available here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
shahbaznihal said:
I am trying to measure the delay between two BNC cables using a Square Pulse of 2V with an offset of 1 V using the oscilloscope. I am using the FRR measurement to do so.
Exactly what is an FRR measurement.

A 200 MHz analogue front end with 1 Gs/s will not enable you to compare cable lengths. 1 GHz has a period of 1 nsec. That is about 300 mm in a cable. The front end will blur the signal further. Your resolution will be very poor, maybe one metre.

To compare the electrical length of two similar open-circuit cables, drive the cable with a sine wave, through a series termination resistor. Use a two channel oscilloscope to observe the phase shift of the signals at both sides of the termination resistor. Adjust the sinewave frequency to minimise phase shift, record the frequency. Repeat the process for the other line.

Baluncore said:
Exactly what is an FRR measurement.

The FRR function calculates the time delay in the rising pulse of two signals.

shahbaznihal said:
I have a GDS-20174A Digital Oscilloscope. I am trying to measure the delay between two BNC cables using a Square Pulse of 2V with an offset of 1 V using the oscilloscope. I am using the FRR measurement to do so.
What is your signal source? What are the rise and fall times of the pulses? What is the period between pulses?

The FRR measurement doesn't look like it would be used for time delay reflectometry -- looks more like a signal propagation measurement where you have clear access to the signals at different locations. Do you have access to the far end of the cable? (can the cable be looped back to the near end at the oscilloscope?

https://www.tmatlantic.com/encyclopedia/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=9196

1. What is FRR measurement in a digital oscilloscope?

FRR (Full Range Response) measurement is a feature in digital oscilloscopes that allows for accurate measurements of signals that are close to the limits of the oscilloscope's bandwidth. It compensates for any roll-off or attenuation of the signal at the edges of the oscilloscope's bandwidth, providing a more accurate representation of the signal.

2. How is FRR measurement different from frequency response?

Frequency response refers to the range of frequencies that an oscilloscope can accurately measure. FRR measurement, on the other hand, is a feature that compensates for any roll-off or attenuation at the edges of the oscilloscope's bandwidth, allowing for more accurate measurements of signals close to the limits of the bandwidth.

3. Why is FRR measurement important in digital oscilloscopes?

FRR measurement is important because it allows for more accurate measurements of signals that are close to the limits of the oscilloscope's bandwidth. Without this feature, there may be roll-off or attenuation at the edges of the bandwidth, resulting in inaccurate measurements.

4. How does FRR measurement affect the accuracy of my measurements?

FRR measurement can greatly improve the accuracy of your measurements, especially when working with signals that are close to the limits of the oscilloscope's bandwidth. It compensates for any roll-off or attenuation, providing a more accurate representation of the signal.

5. Can FRR measurement be adjusted or calibrated?

Yes, FRR measurement can be adjusted or calibrated in some digital oscilloscopes. This allows for fine-tuning of the feature to ensure the most accurate measurements possible. It is important to refer to the oscilloscope's manual for specific instructions on how to adjust or calibrate FRR measurement.