Measure the strength of the signal

In summary,-It is possible to measure the signal loss through a cable using an oscilloscope.-The loss is a function of the length of the cable and frequency. -A Cable Tester can be used to measure the loss on transmission line type cables.
Physicslearner500039
Hi all,

i have heard a lot of signal deterioration. so i just wanted to understand if i send a pulse let us say of some 5V and measure it using an oscilloscope and send it through a very lengthy cable and measure the same signal with an oscilloscope can i find that the amplitude of the signal coming down at some point of the cable? i also know that as the speed of the signal is increased the signal travels lesser distance. is it possible for me to practically observe these using our regular oscilloscopes? Based on these inputs i want to design a system where if lot of wires are bunched together is there is any short circuits within the wire? or any open circuits? quality of the wire? and other details is it possible? i am thinking of all these details for a 24V system.

Thanks in advance,
regards,

satya

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, give a known input signal and measure it out the output to determine the loss through the cable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the signal loss is a function of the length of the cable AND frequency. Higher frequencies will have a greater loss.

As for the last part with the bunch of cables I am not sure what you are asking.

satya77 said:
Hi all,

i have heard a lot of signal deterioration. so i just wanted to understand if i send a pulse let us say of some 5V and measure it using an oscilloscope and send it through a very lengthy cable and measure the same signal with an oscilloscope can i find that the amplitude of the signal coming down at some point of the cable? i also know that as the speed of the signal is increased the signal travels lesser distance. is it possible for me to practically observe these using our regular oscilloscopes? Based on these inputs i want to design a system where if lot of wires are bunched together is there is any short circuits within the wire? or any open circuits? quality of the wire? and other details is it possible? i am thinking of all these details for a 24V system.

Thanks in advance,
regards,

satya

From the last part of your question, it sounds like you are wanting something like a "Cable Tester":

http://www.google.com/products?q=cable+tester&hl=en

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tester

Cable Testers can be used on transmission line type cable (twisted pair or coax), but would be less effective with cables that have unmatched wires in them...

Related to Measure the strength of the signal

What does "measure the strength of the signal" mean?

Measuring the strength of a signal refers to determining the power or intensity of a signal, usually in terms of its voltage or amplitude. This measurement is important in determining the quality and reliability of a signal.

How is the strength of a signal measured?

The strength of a signal can be measured using various instruments, such as an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, or power meter. These instruments measure the voltage or power of the signal and display it in a numerical or visual form.

What factors affect the strength of a signal?

The strength of a signal can be affected by various factors, including distance from the source, obstacles in the signal's path, interference from other signals, and the quality of the transmitting equipment. In general, the further a signal travels, the weaker it becomes.

Why is it important to measure the strength of a signal?

Measuring the strength of a signal is important for ensuring the quality and reliability of a communication system. It can also help identify and troubleshoot any issues with the signal, such as interference or weak transmission.

How does the strength of a signal affect communication?

The strength of a signal directly affects the quality of communication. A strong signal results in clear and reliable communication, while a weak signal can lead to distortion, dropped connections, and other issues. This is why it is important to measure and maintain the strength of a signal in any communication system.