1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FTC integrate multiple functions.

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If F(x)=∫from 0 to g(x) of 1/(√(1+t^3)) dt and g(x)= ∫from 0 to cos(x) of 1+sin(t^2) dt, then find f'(pi/2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried FTC parts 1 and 2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello tropic9393. Welcome to PF !

Please, show us explicitly what you have tried so that we may help you.

4. Jul 28, 2012 #3
    I know I need to solve for g(x). I did the integral with respect to t of and got realized that sin(t^2) does not have an elementary integral, and I havent learned how to do solve for that yet.
    Then i tried applying FTC directly and but i thought that only applied to the derivative of an integral.
    I have a major conceptual block, so i dont really have a lot of work to show :frown:

5. Jul 28, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct regarding the anti-derivative of sin(t2).

Neither does [itex]\displaystyle 1/\sqrt{1+t^3}\ [/itex] have an anti-derivative which can be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

Approach the solution in two parts, similar to the way the problem is set-up.

According to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, what is f '(x), if [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=\int_{0}^{g(x)}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^3}}\,dt\ ?[/itex] (Without using the explicit form of g(x). )

6. Jul 28, 2012 #5
    f'(x)=1/(√(1+g(x)^3)

Then do solve for f'(pi/2) by plugging g(pi/2) in for g(x)?

7. Jul 28, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not quite right. You forgot to use the chain rule.

Suppose that the anti-derivative of [itex]1/\sqrt{1+t^3}[/itex] is [itex]H(t)[/itex].

That says that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{g(x)}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^3}}\,dt=H(g(x))-H(0)\ .[/itex]

Use the chain rule to find the derivative, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}H(g(x))\ .[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook