FTC integrate multiple functions.

In summary: This is equal to \displaystyle -g(x)/\sqrt{1+t^3}\ .Therefore, \displaystyle f'(x)=-g(x)/\sqrt{1+t^3}=1/(√(1+g(x)^3))
tropic9393

Homework Statement

If F(x)=∫from 0 to g(x) of 1/(√(1+t^3)) dt and g(x)= ∫from 0 to cos(x) of 1+sin(t^2) dt, then find f'(pi/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried FTC parts 1 and 2

Physics news on Phys.org
tropic9393 said:

Homework Statement

If F(x)=∫from 0 to g(x) of 1/(√(1+t^3)) dt and g(x)= ∫from 0 to cos(x) of 1+sin(t^2) dt, then find f'(pi/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried FTC parts 1 and 2
Hello tropic9393. Welcome to PF !

Please, show us explicitly what you have tried so that we may help you.

I know I need to solve for g(x). I did the integral with respect to t of and got realized that sin(t^2) does not have an elementary integral, and I haven't learned how to do solve for that yet.
Then i tried applying FTC directly and but i thought that only applied to the derivative of an integral.
I have a major conceptual block, so i don't really have a lot of work to show :frown:

tropic9393 said:
I know I need to solve for g(x). I did the integral with respect to t of and got realized that sin(t^2) does not have an elementary integral, and I haven't learned how to do solve for that yet.
Then i tried applying FTC directly and but i thought that only applied to the derivative of an integral.
I have a major conceptual block, so i don't really have a lot of work to show :frown:
You are correct regarding the anti-derivative of sin(t2).

Neither does [itex]\displaystyle 1/\sqrt{1+t^3}\ [/itex] have an anti-derivative which can be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

Approach the solution in two parts, similar to the way the problem is set-up.

According to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, what is f '(x), if [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=\int_{0}^{g(x)}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^3}}\,dt\ ?[/itex] (Without using the explicit form of g(x). )

f'(x)=1/(√(1+g(x)^3)

Then do solve for f'(pi/2) by plugging g(pi/2) in for g(x)?

tropic9393 said:
f'(x)=1/(√(1+g(x)^3)

Not quite right. You forgot to use the chain rule.
Suppose that the anti-derivative of [itex]1/\sqrt{1+t^3}[/itex] is [itex]H(t)[/itex].

That says that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{g(x)}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^3}}\,dt=H(g(x))-H(0)\ .[/itex]

Use the chain rule to find the derivative, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}H(g(x))\ .[/itex]

1. What is FTC integrate multiple functions?

FTC integrate multiple functions is a mathematical concept in which multiple functions are combined and evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus. This allows for the calculation of a definite integral over a given interval.

2. Why is FTC integrate multiple functions important?

FTC integrate multiple functions is important because it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. It also provides a more efficient method for solving integrals, saving time and effort in mathematical calculations.

3. How is FTC integrate multiple functions used in scientific research?

FTC integrate multiple functions is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze and model various physical systems and phenomena, as well as to calculate important quantities such as work, energy, and probability.

4. What are the two parts of FTC integrate multiple functions?

The two parts of FTC integrate multiple functions are the first fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the function, and the second fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function.

5. Are there any limitations to using FTC integrate multiple functions?

While FTC integrate multiple functions is a powerful tool in mathematics and science, it does have some limitations. It cannot be used to solve all integrals, particularly those involving discontinuous or undefined functions. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and careful attention to the limits of integration.