Full-Wave Antenna: Solving the Homework

• Thread starter Solarmew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antenna
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the field of a full-wave antenna by combining the fields of two half-wave antennas. The calculation involves taking into account the phase difference between the two currents and the path difference from the antennas to the observation point. Phasors are helpful in this calculation.
Solarmew

Homework Statement

antenna.JPG

Homework Equations

see attached image

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin with this one. We did a similar problem with a half-wave antenna, where I=I_0 cos(2πz/λ) and it was centered at the origin, so cos = 1 when z = 0.
So here I figured if we place the antenna in the positive z, then sin will = 0 when z = 0, then max out half way and decrease back to 0. But I'm not really sure.

Could someone please nudge me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the field of a single half-wave antenna, then you just need to add the fields from the two half-wave antennas that make up the full-wave antenna. You will need to take into account that the two currents in the half-wave antennas are out of phase and there is an additional phase shift due to the path difference from the antennas to the far-field observation point (like the path difference in a double-slit apparatus). Phasors are a good tool for adding the two fields.

1. What is a full-wave antenna?

A full-wave antenna is a type of radio antenna that is designed to operate at the fundamental frequency of its length. This means that the length of the antenna is equal to half of the wavelength of the radio frequency it is designed to receive or transmit.

2. How does a full-wave antenna work?

A full-wave antenna works by using its length to resonate at the frequency of the radio waves. This causes the antenna to efficiently send or receive the signals. The length of the antenna determines its resonant frequency, and its design allows for maximum efficiency at that frequency.

3. What is the difference between a full-wave antenna and a half-wave antenna?

The main difference between a full-wave antenna and a half-wave antenna is their length. A full-wave antenna is twice the length of a half-wave antenna and operates at the fundamental frequency, while a half-wave antenna operates at the second harmonic frequency.

4. What are the advantages of a full-wave antenna?

Full-wave antennas have several advantages, including higher gain, better directivity, and a wider bandwidth compared to half-wave antennas. They also have a lower impedance, which allows for easier matching with the feedline and transmitter.

5. How do I calculate the length of a full-wave antenna?

The length of a full-wave antenna can be calculated by dividing the speed of light by the frequency of the radio waves. The result is then divided by 2 to get the half-wavelength, which is the length of the antenna. For example, if the frequency is 100 MHz, the length of the antenna would be 150 meters (300,000,000 / 100,000,000 / 2 = 1.5 meters).