Fun game Participate if you can!

One more day and I will post the results. I didn't get as many as I wanted at all, so if you didn't PM me with a guess feel free to do it :wink:

Results

I know I made you all wait for this long enough. I'm sure you were all hitting the refresh button like crazy waiting for me to post the scores and the winner of the game (well at least maybe the 4 of you who actually PMed me with something:rolleyes:). I was being sarcastic if you didn't know, here are the scores (number followed by who guessed it):
0--BobG
6--Physics_wiz
10-gerben
19-Moonbear
23-The Bob

So, I guess BobG won by guessing 0. This would NOT have been the case if everyone who viewd this thread PMed me with a number, but oh well...wishful thinking :biggrin:.

Looking at the scores, I think all the ones who sent me a number thought a step further and posted a relatively not so low number except for BobG who went with his first intuition. Or maybe BobG was the one who went a step further???

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A combination of my first intuition that no one would gess a number higher than they could count on their fingers, plus process of elimination.

Me and a buddy were in a saw mill while I was thinking of your game and he interrupted me by screaming.

I asked him what was wrong and he said, "I just lost one of my fingers! I just touched this spinning thing here and.... Damn, there goes another one!"

By time we finished analyzing the problem, there wasn't much left to base my guess on.

BobG said:
A combination of my first intuition that no one would gess a number higher than they could count on their fingers, plus process of elimination.

Me and a buddy were in a saw mill while I was thinking of your game and he interrupted me by screaming.

I asked him what was wrong and he said, "I just lost one of my fingers! I just touched this spinning thing here and.... Damn, there goes another one!"

By time we finished analyzing the problem, there wasn't much left to base my guess on.

Hehe, sorry about your fingers, but eh...they were worth it. You are the winner! :biggrin: :rofl:

AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ouch! You'd think that on a board as crowded as this one, more than 5 people would play. If anyone's interested, you can see what we did over at PhilosophyForums.com:

http://forums.philosophyforums.com/showthread.php?t=10850

We ran 5 games with player turnouts of 15, 10, 23, 19, and 8 for games 1, 2, ..., 5 respectively. We also did certain things like slightly alter the rules of each game. I think games 1 and 2 were the same. For game 3, I think the difference was that every so often, I would give updates as to how many people played (the number of people in the game, of course, affects your guess). I believe one game was played with the theme that you could make two guesses, so you could make one guess, then wait, see how many people play and/or see if anyone else announces their guesses (there's some strategic benefit in announcing your guess, as you can see if you check out that thread) and then make a second corrected guess. You can also play around with the rules about announcing your guess(es). We also considered (but don't think we ever did it) doing something like announcing fake results of the game, and then giving only a select number of people the real results, as the results of a game give you insight as to how people play, and people who have that insight would presumably have an advantage over those with fake-insight.

This game can be interesting, especially if you haven't played before (after conducting the game a number of times, I did kind of get bored of it). Try again Physics_wiz, I'll even play this time. Note, the game really only works if, I'd say, at least 15 people play. It's free, it's pretty easy, and takes very little time (for those of you who spend all day here, this should be nothing ;)), so why not play?

Physics_wiz said:
Hmm, a moderator on another forum ran this game three rounds and the thing that amazed me was that one person won all three rounds. I'm just interested in seeing the results and I'd say that you're not a wierdo if you win...just know how to think right.

AKG said:
Ouch! You'd think that on a board as crowded as this one, more than 5 people would play. If anyone's interested, you can see what we did over at PhilosophyForums.com:

http://forums.philosophyforums.com/...ead.php?t=10850 [Broken]

Heyo AKG, I didn't know you were the philosophyforums AKG too. I was refering to Wax on philosophyforums in the first quote :biggrin: I played in 4 of the 5 rounds there and became interested in the game. After seeing the number of people here, I thought it would be pretty interesting to play here and see the results with a huge (didn't happen) number of people.

Anyways, I'll run another round. Results will be posted in 2 days again. PM me with your guesses...RIGHT NOW!

Last edited by a moderator: