Function to satisfy this integral for all parameters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a function f(x) that satisfies an integral with arbitrary parameters a and b. The function would have to be oscillatory and satisfy certain conditions, but it is possible to find such a function. The conversation also mentions finding an estimate for a and b, and suggests using g(x) instead of f(ax + b) to simplify the problem.
Gerenuk
I wonder:

Is it possible to find a function f(x) which satisfies this integral for *arbitrary* parameters a,b (but maybe of known domain)?

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2}f(ax+b)\mathrm{d}x=0[/tex]

I want [tex]f(\pm\infty)=0[/tex] and I can deduce
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty x^n e^{-x^2}f^{(m)}(ax+b)\mathrm{d}x=0[/tex]

It would have to be oscillary I guess?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, and no. Obviously, f(x)=0 satisfies the criterion, but this is probably not what you were looking for. If you do a change of variable in the expression, you'll see that the integrand is exp(-((x-b)/a)^2)*f(x), i.e., a Gaussian times some function. However, if you let a and b be arbitrary, you're allowing the Gaussian's position and width to vary as well, and by making a arbitrarily large, you can make the Gaussian as thin as you want. The net effect is that the integral would "pick out" the value of f(b), so unless f is 0 everywhere, the integral cannot be 0 everywhere.

This, of course, assumes that f is well-behaved. Any function which did satisfy the criterion would be nowhere continuous, as it would have to oscillate infinitely at every point.

And I an estimate for b and a is known? Say it's in a range around some a0 and b0.

Since coming here I have found questions I could answer, but from the other answers it looked like I hadn't understood the question. :redface: With that reservation:

Firstly, why f(ax + b) ? Call it g(x). If you can get that you can translate into a function of (ax + b) afterwards.

Now [tex] e^{-x^2}[/tex] is symmetrical about x = 0. So if g is any continuous and finite function of x that is antisymmetrical i.e. g(x) = - g(-x) , and defined from - to + infinity, it will satisfy your requirement won't it? Simplest example g(x) = x.

If this shows I have not understood the question (guess no-one would ask one that easy) someone please tell me as other times I was left suspended.:confused::smile:

Last edited:
Ps

:redface: sorry, g(x) = x doesn't satisfy your [tex]f(\pm\infty)=0[/tex] condition, but you can easily find one that does, e.g. any function symmetrical about x = 0 that does, multiplied by x.

1. What does it mean for a function to satisfy an integral?

For a function to satisfy an integral, it means that when the function is integrated over a given interval, the resulting value is equal to a specific number or expression. In other words, the integral of the function is equal to a definite value.

2. Can any function satisfy an integral for all parameters?

No, not all functions can satisfy an integral for all parameters. Some functions may have certain parameters that make the integral undefined or infinite, while others may not have a closed-form solution for the integral. Additionally, the integral may only be satisfied for specific values of the parameters.

3. How can I determine if a function satisfies an integral for all parameters?

To determine if a function satisfies an integral for all parameters, you can use various mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions to evaluate the integral. You can also check if the function is continuous and differentiable over the given interval, as these are necessary conditions for the integral to exist.

4. What is the importance of a function satisfying an integral for all parameters?

A function satisfying an integral for all parameters is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to find the area under a curve, calculate volumes and probabilities, and solve differential equations. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and its relationship with its parameters.

5. Are there any specific techniques for finding a function that satisfies an integral for all parameters?

Yes, there are specific techniques for finding a function that satisfies an integral for all parameters. Some common methods include using the fundamental theorem of calculus, using properties of the integrand such as symmetry or periodicity, and using special functions such as the gamma function or Bessel function. Additionally, numerical methods can also be used to approximate a function that satisfies the integral.