Functions that integrate to a gamma function?

In summary, the conversation is about how to integrate a function with a generalized gamma form and the use of different techniques such as the recursive property and integration by parts to transform it into a form that can be matched with the gamma function. There is also a mention of using the exponential integral function as an alternative option.
daviddoria
maple syntax:

int(theta^y * exp(-theta*(1-alpha) ) , theta)

I have a distribution that I need to integrate, and I know the result should have a gamma function in it.

The only thing I have found helpful is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function

My function is kind of in that form (theta^something * exp(something) ), but the "somethings" don't seem to be able to be manipulated into that form. Any hints on how to go about this?

Thanks!

David

Physics news on Phys.org
You could match it with this generalized form of the gamma function (sometimes called the Plica Function):

[tex]\Gamma (a,z)=\int_z^{\infty } t^{a-1} e^{-t} dt[/tex]

Or you could also match it with the exponential integral function (n is an integer):

[tex]E_n (z)=\int_1^{\infty } \frac{e^{-z t}}{t^n} dt[/tex]

If you must match it to a non-generalized gamma expression, show us the final form you are aiming for.

I don't understand how I would match it with those? The problem is I have

t^alpha

and I need
t^(alpha - 1)

The only way I would know to "mold" mine into the correct one is to multiply by t^(-1) and t, then take t outside the integral and combine t^alpha with t^(-1) to get t^(alpha-1). However, t is the integration variable, so I can't do that!

any other thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Use the recursive property of the gamma function:

[tex]\Gamma(\alpha+1) = \alpha \Gamma(\alpha)[/tex]

This does require, however, that your limits of integration are 0 to infinity.

daviddoria said:
I don't understand how I would match it with those? The problem is I have

t^alpha

and I need
t^(alpha - 1)

However, t is the integration variable

Use integration by parts, differentiate t^alpha.

If the integral you are looking for is the following (assuming the limits are correct):

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\theta^y \cdot e^{-\theta(1-\alpha)} d\theta[/tex]

You can transform it using:

[tex]\theta(1-\alpha)=u[/tex]

This gives you something related to the Gamma function.

1. What is a gamma function?

The gamma function is a mathematical function that extends the factorial function to real and complex numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter gamma (Γ) and is defined as: Γ(z) = ∫0 xz-1e-xdx, where z is the input value.

2. What are the properties of a gamma function?

Some of the key properties of a gamma function include: it is defined for all positive real numbers, it is a continuous function, it is infinitely differentiable, and it satisfies the recurrence relation Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z).

3. How is a gamma function used in integration?

A gamma function is used to evaluate integrals involving exponential and power functions. This is because the gamma function can be used to represent the integral of these types of functions, making it a useful tool for solving integration problems.

4. Can a gamma function be expressed in terms of other mathematical functions?

Yes, a gamma function can be expressed in terms of other mathematical functions such as the factorial function, the beta function, and the trigonometric functions. There are also various identities and relationships between the gamma function and other special functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of a gamma function?

The gamma function has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to solve problems involving probability distributions, heat transfer, and radioactive decay, among others. It is also commonly used in the development of mathematical models for various physical phenomena.