Fundamental frequency

In summary, the fundamental frequency of a stretched wire vibrates at 400Hz. If the wire is half as long, with twice the diameter, and four times the tension, the fundamental frequency would be 200Hz.
hemetite

Homework Statement

A stretched wire vibrates in its fundamental mode at a frequency of 400Hz. What would be the fundamental frequency if the wire were half as long, with twice the diameter and with four times the tension?

Homework Equations

fn = nV / 2L where n is the harmonics number. f1 is the fundmental frequency.

i think i should be using
V= Sqrt(T/u)

The Attempt at a Solution

how do i start? this is what i got...

since it gave 400Hz... then i think i should use...

fn = nV/2L -----> 400Hz = V/2L

therefore V= 400 * 2L

using V= Sqrt ( T/u) ---> 400*2L= Sqrt( T/U) ----

i am stuck here...i have a hunch that i need to find something it term of something that play back the two equation..afterwhich it will cancel out something..then i can get the value...dunno where to go from here...any hel thanks??

Physics news on Phys.org
dimensions

hemetite said:
A stretched wire vibrates in its fundamental mode at a frequency of 400Hz. What would be the fundamental frequency if the wire were half as long, with twice the diameter and with four times the tension?

Hi hemetite! :smile:

This is a dimensions question …

write out the formula for the fundamental frequency, f1

then see whether f1 is proportional to T, to 1/T, to √T, or what?

same for L and d. :smile:

k...let me struggle..abit...i seems to smell something already...hopefully it is not burnt... :)

physic is just so challenging... what a rush...!

here what i get...

these are the formulas...

for fundamental frequency...n=1

so,

f= V/2L --------- 1

lamba = 2L ------- 2

v= lambda * f -----3

v= sqrt (T/ (m/L) ------4

---------------------------------------

using 3 ... v= (2L) 400Hz
so if we wire of 1/2 as long so
v= (1/2) (2L) 400Hz = 400L

put these into 1

f= V/2L = 400L/2L =200Hz

these is 1 of the answer...i have to get for 2 more right for the change for D and T?

...i see the question like 3 condition combine into 1?...or..3 mini question or 1 big question?

Related to Fundamental frequency

What is fundamental frequency?

Fundamental frequency, also known as the first harmonic, is the lowest frequency produced by a vibrating object. It is the frequency at which an object naturally vibrates and is determined by its size, shape, and material.

How is fundamental frequency measured?

Fundamental frequency is measured in hertz (Hz), which is the number of cycles per second. It can be measured using a frequency meter or by counting the number of oscillations in a given time period.

What is the relationship between fundamental frequency and pitch?

The fundamental frequency of a sound wave determines its pitch. A higher fundamental frequency corresponds to a higher pitch, while a lower fundamental frequency corresponds to a lower pitch.

What factors affect the fundamental frequency of a vibrating object?

The fundamental frequency of a vibrating object is affected by several factors, including its mass, length, tension, and stiffness. For example, a shorter and stiffer object will have a higher fundamental frequency than a longer and more flexible object.

Why is fundamental frequency important in music?

Fundamental frequency is important in music because it determines the perceived pitch of a sound. Musicians use fundamental frequency to tune their instruments and create harmonies and melodies. It also plays a role in the timbre, or quality, of a sound.