Fundamental Theorem of Calculus - Variables x and t

In summary, the Fundamental Theorem of calculus states that if f is an integrable function then there exists a function G such that G(x) = f(x). Also, if F is an anti-derivative of f then ∫[b,a]F(t)dt = G(b)-G(a).
Sir James
Hello, I'm getting slightly confused by the following so was hoping someone may be able to clear my problem up.

For integrals, if b is the upper limit and a is the lower limit, I will write ∫[b,a].

From the Fundamental Theorem of calculus part 1 we can show that:

if
F(x) = ∫[x,a] f(t)dt
then
F'(x) = f(x)
where F'(x) is the derivative of F(x) with respect to x
I understand the proof so will not detail.

From this, we can deduce part 2, that:

if
G(x) is any anti-derivative of f(x)
then
∫[b,a] f(t)dt = G(b)-G(a) = G(x) (evaluated at b) - G(x) (evaluated at a)
I understand the proof here also.

However, what I don't understand is that part 2 is actually written:

∫[b,a] f(x)dx = G(b)-G(a)

This notation suggests that integrating with respect to the x, being the term after the integrand is acceptable. However, we actually obtain the proof by finding the anti-derivative w.r.t. x when x was the upper limit in the summation.

My question is - what is the step that seems to be missing seeing as in the second law we actually integrate with respect to what was previously denoted as t? I understand that x and t are two different variables but they are obviously closely related - is it a case that t is dependent on x? If we can integrate w.r.t. either x or t surely they are equal and vary on a 1 to 1 ratio?

Thanks for the help,

James

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to say, there was no variable t, t was just a new name for x. You were always using x. The formula f(t) was just the formula f(x) with x renamed to t, no substitution was made.

Or I suppose one could say, t is a variable with exactly the same rate of change as x. I don't think it matters really, the formula is the same. I much prefer thinking of it as just a name change.

Last edited:
In [itex]\int_a^b f(t)dt[/itex], t is a dummy variable. It does not appear in the final result so it can be changed at will: [itex]\int_a^b f(t)dt= \int_a^b f(x)dx= \int_a^b f(y)dy[/itex], etc.

This is the same as the "dummy index" in a sum: [itex]\sum_{n=0}^5 n^2= \sum_{j=0}^5 j^2[/itex] because they are both equal to [itex]0^2+ 1^2+ 2^2+ 3^2+ 4^2+ 5^2= 0+ 1+ 4+ 9+ 16+ 25= 55[/itex].

Be sure not to lose the forrest for the trees ...

The Fundamental Theorem's meaning is that
Differentiation and Integration are Inverse Functions/Operations

Thanks for the responses Verty, HallsofIvy and Paulfr

Related to Fundamental Theorem of Calculus - Variables x and t

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that links the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding the antiderivative of that function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

2. What are the variables x and t in the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The variable x represents the independent variable of the function, while the variable t represents the variable used in the limits of integration. In other words, x is the variable used to define the function, while t is the variable used to specify the interval over which the function is being integrated.

3. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real-life applications?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and solve real-life problems that involve rates of change and accumulation. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object given its velocity function, or to find the total profit earned by a company given its revenue function.

4. What is the difference between the first and second parts of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The first part of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. The second part states that the derivative of the definite integral of a function is equal to the original function. In other words, the first part deals with integration while the second part deals with differentiation.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

One common misconception is that the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus only applies to continuous functions. In reality, it can be applied to a wide range of functions, including discontinuous and even piecewise functions. Another misconception is that integration and differentiation are inverse operations, when in fact they are related through the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus but are not truly inverse operations.