1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fundamental theorem of calculus

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does the function F(x)=int(sin(1/t)dt,0,x) (integral of sin(1/t) with lower limit 0 to upper limit x) have a derivative at x=0?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking that F(x) shouldn't have a derivative at x=0 because the integrand isn't even continuous at 0. I tried making this more explicit through using the definition of the derivative along with the convention that F(0)=0 because sin(1/t) is bounded.

Any suggestions? Is my reasoning correct?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This one's kind of tricky. I had to think about it for a while. F(x) actually IS differentiable at 0. Try to prove this by showing -x^2<=|F(x)|<x^2. Big hint: integrate t*cos(1/t) by parts.

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3
    okay, once I have shown -x^2<=|F(x)|< x^2 then taking the limit as x tends to zero shows that F(x) is zero. My question now is how does this give us any information on the differentiability of F(x)? Is there something that I am missing?

Thank you for your time

5. Jan 21, 2010 #4
    [tex]|F'(0)| = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\left|\frac{F(h) - F(0)}{h}\right| = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{|F(h)|}{|h|} \leq \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{|h|^2}{|h|} = 0.[/tex]

Hence F'(0) = 0.

6. Jan 21, 2010 #5
    wow, I don't see how I overlooked that haha. I really need to get some sleep. Thank you both for your help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook