What is the FTC saying about the derivative of the integral of a function?

• Thread starter ProBasket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fundamental
In summary: The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the derivative of a function at a point is equal to the integral of the function from that point to the given interval.
ProBasket
Use part I of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the derivative of

[tex]\int_x^{3} sin(x^3) dx[/tex]

F'(x)=_________________ (answer goes here)

i think i need to integrate the problem first, but it seems impossible. can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes...Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus...?? :uhh:

Daniel.

you need to find the antiderivative of that function, and then do F(3) - F(x) (correct me if I am wrong anyone). But yeah, i believe that's what you have to do.

He cannot find the antiderivative among elementary functions...Yet he can solve the exercise without knowing it.

Daniel.

yeah well, I am usually Being helped instead of Helping others...so...hey i tried

dextercioby said:
He cannot find the antiderivative among elementary functions...Yet he can solve the exercise without knowing it.

Daniel.

isnt the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" just solving it as a regular integral? that's what i thought it was.

ProBasket said:
isnt the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" just solving it as a regular integral? that's what i thought it was.

Read your question carefully. What is the question asking you for? I believe that you've misread the question.

People seem to forget that the fundamental theorem of calculus has two parts...

By the way, please tell me that you copied the problem down incorrectly and it actually says:

[tex]\int_x^{3} \sin t^3 \, dt[/tex]

If not, then bear in mind that your source is using poor notation -- they used the symbol x to represent two very different things.

Hurkyl said:
By the way, please tell me that you copied the problem down incorrectly and it actually says:

[tex]\int_x^{3} \sin t^3 \, dt[/tex]

If not, then bear in mind that your source is using poor notation -- they used the symbol x to represent two very different things.

sorry, i did copied it down wrong without knowing. your right, it's [tex]\int_x^{3} \sin t^3 \, dt[/tex]

sorry about the typo

Okay...in simplistic terms, what is the FTC saying? I.e. "the derivative of the integral of the function is...?" Answer that, and you have this question. Just review the FTC.

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental principle in calculus that relates the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that the integral of a function f(x) over an interval [a,b] is equal to the difference of the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at the endpoints a and b, also known as the definite integral. In simpler terms, it allows us to evaluate integrals by finding the antiderivative of a function and plugging in the endpoints of the interval.

How does the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus relate to derivatives and integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is essentially the bridge between derivatives and integrals. The first part of the theorem, called the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, states that differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. In other words, the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function. The second part, called the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, provides a method for evaluating definite integrals using antiderivatives.

Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus important?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems in calculus. It allows us to evaluate integrals without having to use the limit definition of integration, which can be tedious and time-consuming. It also allows us to easily find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Is there only one version of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

No, there are two versions of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The first version, as mentioned before, relates differentiation and integration as inverse operations. The second version provides a method for evaluating definite integrals using antiderivatives. Both versions are equally important and are often used together in solving problems in calculus.

Are there any limitations to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It only applies to continuous functions and only works for definite integrals. It also assumes that the function being integrated is integrable, meaning it must have a finite number of discontinuities. Additionally, it cannot be used to evaluate improper integrals, which have infinite bounds or integrands that tend to infinity.