1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental THeoreom of Cal

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    Use part I of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the derivative of

[tex]\int_x^{3} sin(x^3) dx[/tex]

F'(x)=_________________ (answer goes here)

i think i need to integrate the problem first, but it seems impossible. can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes...Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus...?? :uhh:

Daniel.

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3
    you need to find the antiderivative of that function, and then do F(3) - F(x) (correct me if im wrong anyone). But yeah, i believe thats what you have to do.

5. Jan 25, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He cannot find the antiderivative among elementary functions...Yet he can solve the exercise without knowing it.

Daniel.

6. Jan 25, 2005 #5
    yeah well, im usually Being helped instead of Helping others...so...hey i tried

7. Jan 25, 2005 #6

isnt the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" just solving it as a regular integral? that's what i thought it was.

8. Jan 25, 2005 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Read your question carefully. What is the question asking you for? I believe that you've misread the question.

9. Jan 25, 2005 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People seem to forget that the fundamental theorem of calculus has two parts...

10. Jan 25, 2005 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the way, please tell me that you copied the problem down incorrectly and it actually says:

[tex]\int_x^{3} \sin t^3 \, dt[/tex]

If not, then bear in mind that your source is using poor notation -- they used the symbol x to represent two very different things.

11. Jan 26, 2005 #10

sorry, i did copied it down wrong without knowing. your right, it's [tex]\int_x^{3} \sin t^3 \, dt[/tex]

sorry about the typo

12. Jan 26, 2005 #11

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay...in simplistic terms, what is the FTC saying? I.e. "the derivative of the integral of the function is....?" Answer that, and you have this question. Just review the FTC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?