Fundamentals of computer- book suggestion needed.

In summary, the individual modules of a computer talk to each other to create the desired output. This is similar to how the individual modules talk to each other in order to create a primitive memory.
king_kong
Hi all,

My objective is to understand the electronics of a computer.
It does not have to be a modern computer, but I want to know how the basics of digital electronics (like flip flops, gates, counters) are assembled togather to get the desired output.
Its more like how the individual modules talk to each other etc.

I happened to visit a tech fest last saturday, and saw some interesting things like non volatile dipole memory, and primitive memories ( it was a big circuit board A4 size, with wires on all pins- looked like a hairy board- if you get the picture).
I also had a look at the punched cards and the programm tapes. The academic who was manning the booth tried to be very helpful in explaining things.

This kindled my interests in basic computer technology, and I will be glad if someone can suggest me with some good books, websites etc.
I have studied books like Malvino as a part of my course work, but am expecting more from the practical aspects etc.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
king_kong said:
Hi all,

My objective is to understand the electronics of a computer.
It does not have to be a modern computer, but I want to know how the basics of digital electronics (like flip flops, gates, counters) are assembled togather to get the desired output.

I happened to visit a tech fest last saturday, and saw some interesting things like non volatile dipole memory, and primitive memories ( it was a big circuit board A4 size, with wires on all pins- looked like a hairy board- if you get the picture).
I also had a look at the punched cards and the programm tapes. The academic who was manning the booth tried to be very helpful in explaining things.

This kindled my interests in basic computer technology, and I will be glad if someone can suggest me with some good books, websites etc.
I have studied books like Malvino as a part of my course work, but am expecting more from the practical aspects etc.

Thanks

Welcome to the PF!

You can start with these articles at HowStuffWorks.com:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/search.php?terms=computer

Start with the simpler articles, like "What's inside my computer", and then read the others as well. You can also do a search at www.wikipedia.org, which will give you an intro article plus lots of links to other articles and books.

Yea, what Berkeman said: Read up on the basics, then when you understand the basics, if that's not all the information you want, you're going to be Googling for "Computer Architecture". Try adding "theory" or other keywords to the Google search to find what you're looking for.

Many thanks for your suggestions.
With regards.

1. What topics are covered in "Fundamentals of Computer"?

The book covers essential concepts in computer science such as algorithms, data structures, programming languages, computer architecture, and operating systems.

2. Is "Fundamentals of Computer" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is designed for beginners and assumes no prior knowledge of computer science. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of computer science.

3. Are there any practical exercises or examples in the book?

Yes, the book includes practical exercises and examples to help readers apply the concepts they have learned and develop their problem-solving skills.

4. Is "Fundamentals of Computer" relevant to current technology?

Yes, the book covers foundational concepts that are still relevant in modern technology. It also includes discussions on emerging technologies and their impact on computer science.

5. Are there any supplemental materials available with the book?

Yes, the book may come with online resources such as practice quizzes, interactive exercises, and additional readings to further enhance understanding of the concepts covered.