Fundamentals of enginnering (FE)

In summary, the person speaking is studying Engineering Physics at ITU in Turkey and has a BS in Physics. They are wondering if their degree in Physics qualifies for taking the Fundamentals of Engineering exam. They mention that in some countries and states, there may be different experience prerequisites for taking the exam depending on your major. They suggest checking with local regulatory and certification authorities for more information. They also express interest in the possibility of taking the NCEES test in Turkey.
woLfRam108
Hi, My name is Ersel!

FE has just been launched in ITU in Turkey firstly . I'm study (MSc) Enginnering Physics in ITU and will graduate this depertmant in 2013 ,naturally, have a BS Physics degree but not enginnering .

In this case, I'm not enginnering I ' m just a physicist :) !
(I guess so. to you,Is it true ? Is this event (not being enginner by graduating MSc Enginnering Physics after graduated BS physics) run so in US, Europe, too? )!

Shortly, Is "BS Physics degree" eligible for apply or take Fundamentals of enginnering ?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the rules in Turkey.

However, if your question concerns NCEES standards, the answer is YES, you can take the test. Your degree in Physics is pretty much the only qualification you need to sit for the exam.

Some countries (and even state-by-state rules here in the US) have experience prerequisites for taking the Principles and Practices exam that differ according to whether your major was explicitly the field in which you studied or not. I'm not sure where a degree in Physics would play out in discussions such as this. Nevertheless, to get a full PE certificate, you'll need at least four years of experience working, and maybe as many as eight years, if your major doesn't count toward the the foundations that you're supposed to have.

I would think a degree in Physics qualifies. But check your local regulatory and certification authorities. They can get weird about this.

Thats really interesting that you are taking it in Turkey. Does NCEES administer its test in lots of countries?

1. What is the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam?

The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam is a standardized test that is designed to assess the knowledge and skills of engineering students and recent graduates. It covers a wide range of engineering topics and is typically the first step towards becoming a licensed professional engineer.

2. Who is eligible to take the FE exam?

In most states, anyone who has completed at least two years of an accredited engineering program or is within two semesters of graduation is eligible to take the FE exam. However, eligibility requirements may vary by state, so it is important to check with your state's licensing board for specific requirements.

3. What topics are covered on the FE exam?

The FE exam covers a wide range of topics, including mathematics, ethics, engineering economics, statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and electricity and magnetism. The specific topics may vary slightly depending on the discipline of engineering you are pursuing.

4. How should I prepare for the FE exam?

The best way to prepare for the FE exam is to start studying early and create a study schedule. You should also review the exam specifications and practice with sample questions and past exams. Additionally, there are many review courses and study materials available that can help you prepare for the exam.

5. What is the format of the FE exam?

The FE exam is a computer-based test that is administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). It consists of 110 multiple-choice questions and is divided into two sessions, each lasting 5 hours and 20 minutes. The exam is closed-book, but an electronic reference manual is provided during the exam.