Funding for Summer Research in the USA

In summary: You should try talking to your professors directly. As an alternative to formal programs, some professors will have grants that allow them to hire summer students.
Replusz
Hi,
I'm a 3rd year under-graduate student studying at a good European University (in the EU, in the Great Britain),
and would like to apply for summer research project in the US for the summer. For theoretical Physics, such as gravity.

However I have heard that the USA is expensive and I cannot pay 4-6 thousand dollars.
So I would like to ask, how do I get funding?

Thank you, in advance, very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dunno. Most of the funding for US students to study/research in UK comes from sources in the US, often from the school the student studies at in the US. Have you checked around at your school for sources? Asked your academic adviser and others in your local department?

• Sad
Likes Replusz
Dr. Courtney said:
Dunno. Most of the funding for US students to study/research in UK comes from sources in the US, often from the school the student studies at in the US. Have you checked around at your school for sources? Asked your academic adviser and others in your local department?

Yeah I asked the service in university, they say that they give no money for research internships unfortunately. Also academic advisor said there is no money for research anywhere. We have exchange with caltech but its not famous for theoretical physics and i did not apply.

• Skeptical
Likes undefined314
Replusz said:
We have exchange with caltech but its not famous for theoretical physics and i did not apply.

You should apply at the next opportunity. I can't think of a single student I've mentored with an interest in theoretical physics who I would not recommend applying to an opportunity at Cal Tech. Wake up! You can't tweak up zero, and right now, you're at zero. Get the needle off of zero before you think about how to improve your situation.

Likes undefined314, Joshy, Dishsoap and 1 other person
The vast majority of funding for undergraduates to do summer research in the US is reserved for US citizens and permanent residents. And why not? If this is US taxpayer supported, shouldn't the US get first shot at the opportunities? Your best shot is to look for UK support to go to the US.

Further, I am not sure it was smart to decide Caltech wasn't good enough for you.
I am really not sure it was smart to decide Caltech wasn't good enough for you before you had another offer in hand.

• Informative
Likes undefined314
Dr. Courtney said:
You should apply at the next opportunity. I can't think of a single student I've mentored with an interest in theoretical physics who I would not recommend applying to an opportunity at Cal Tech. Wake up! You can't tweak up zero, and right now, you're at zero. Get the needle off of zero before you think about how to improve your situation.
Vanadium 50 said:
The vast majority of funding for undergraduates to do summer research in the US is reserved for US citizens and permanent residents. And why not? If this is US taxpayer supported, shouldn't the US get first shot at the opportunities? Your best shot is to look for UK support to go to the US.

Further, I am not sure it was smart to decide Caltech wasn't good enough for you.
I am really not sure it was smart to decide Caltech wasn't good enough for you before you had another offer in hand.

Ok maybe in formulate not too good. Caltech opportunity explicitly said that one can't choose theory. So that is nogo for me.

But I uphold my view that Caltech not famous for its physics, not in Europe at least. We hear that MIT stanford princeton really good of course not Caltech.

And yes I agree if USA people pay tax it should go to USA people primarly. But you should strengthen bond with Europe because we have good physics and good science. You can learn a lot from us.

:)

• Skeptical
Likes undefined314
Replusz said:
But I uphold my view that Caltech not famous for its physics, not in Europe at least.

I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense.

Furthermore, i think you need to realize that you are asking people for money. When doing so, a little humility is in order.

Likes Tone L, Bystander and Dr. Courtney
One thing you could try is simply talking to your professors directly. As an alternative to formal programs, some professors will have grants that allow them to hire summer students. These are not always advertised either. And sometimes, for ambitious students with outstanding records, where the professor is really keen to take such students on, they can "find" money. Or they may have connections to someone who does, or maybe have in industrial partner who's keen to hire bright students. The point is to ask around. Ask members of your undergraduate physics society. Ask graduate students in your department (who were at one point not so long ago in your shoes and have successfully transitions to where you presumably want to be).

And I get that you want to be working on one particular area. But it's important to remember that not everything you do needs to be oriented in that direction. Tangential opportunities can sometimes pay big dividends. Gravity theory groups aren't going to turn down graduate student applicants because their only summer research experience was doing experimental work in condensed matter.

Thank you for your help everyone!

Replusz said:
And yes I agree if USA people pay tax it should go to USA people primarly. But you should strengthen bond with Europe because we have good physics and good science. You can learn a lot from us.
And just how generous are European universities when it comes to providing funds for US students?

And so why are you seeking opportunities in the US instead of within Europe?

Last edited:
Replusz said:
But I uphold my view that Caltech not famous for its physics, not in Europe at least. We hear that MIT stanford princeton really good of course not Caltech.
I could see how, among the non-physics community, Caltech might not have as much brand-name recognition for physics as the others you've mentioned. But among the physics community, your assertion is truly bizarre.

Last edited:
I just wanted to check into apologize for my behavior. I hope I did not offend anyone, if I did, I am truly sorry.

I'm European and Caltech is absolutely known in Europe. Outrageous comment!

Likes Replusz
Replusz said:
I just wanted to check into apologize for my behavior. I hope I did not offend anyone, if I did, I am truly sorry.

I doubt anyone is offended and don't take the criticism personally.

Likes Replusz
I'm a US Citizen. I've done free internships and worked at retail to make it happen. Do whatever it takes (within good reason of course).

I suppose the confusion about Caltech is just as bad as US students wondering which junior college Imperial College is. I did my research before turning away opportunities; it was a great school to visit.

I like Dr. Courtney's point: Get yourself out of the zero. Even in the US students struggle and compete for opportunities. There is a lot of talent out there, but I've seen too many times stubborn students enjoying their summers and terms with nothing because they couldn't get the gold. I'm a student with non-competitive grades and I give many thanks to those student for leaving those wonderful opportunities open- each time I did one more internships or project, then it opened doors to newer ones... meeting new people or simply championing the experience in my Resume/CV, essays, and at interviews. Sometimes the things I tried or thought were second or third best turned out to be very interesting or gave me a lot of ideas.

• Informative
Likes Replusz

1. How can I find funding for summer research in the USA?

One way to find funding for summer research in the USA is to search for grants and scholarships specifically for summer research programs. You can also reach out to universities and research institutions to inquire about any available funding opportunities.

2. Are there any specific eligibility requirements for summer research funding in the USA?

Eligibility requirements may vary depending on the specific funding opportunity. Some may require applicants to be enrolled in a specific degree program or have a certain GPA, while others may be open to all students. It is important to carefully review the eligibility criteria before applying.

3. How competitive is the process of obtaining funding for summer research in the USA?

The competitiveness of the process can vary depending on the funding opportunity and the number of applicants. It is important to carefully prepare your application and meet all requirements to increase your chances of being selected.

4. Can international students apply for funding for summer research in the USA?

Yes, international students may be eligible for some funding opportunities for summer research in the USA. However, it is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements and any restrictions for international applicants before applying.

5. What are the benefits of obtaining funding for summer research in the USA?

Obtaining funding for summer research in the USA can provide financial support for your research project, as well as valuable experience and networking opportunities. It can also enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for future research opportunities or graduate programs.