Methods to Prove Fusion Calculation on Paper

In summary, Nuclear fusion is a tunneling reaction where the nuclei of two different elements tunnel through the potential barrier between them. This reaction releases energy, and is more complicated than fission. To understand it, you need to understand tunneling probabilities and quantum mechanics.
Deepak247
Let's say two nuclei fuse (proton and neutron), it will do effects such as generate energy and so on...my question is,

I want to know all the methods (theoretical or mathematical) which can describe fusion, for e.g calculations, formulas used (schrodinger equation if used)...

I don't need details of any event, just brief summary of methods to prove fusion on paper
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything heavier then [tex]Fe[/tex] generally absorbs energy where as anything with a lower mass number releases energy, it depends on what your fusing, calculations will change.

Actually i want to know how to calculate fusion (let's say of lighter elements of two nuclei), I want to know the formulas, theories which we do in papaerwork to prove a fusion. I've heard schrodinger equation is useful but not sure...please help

Deepak247 said:
Actually i want to know how to calculate fusion (let's say of lighter elements of two nuclei), I want to know the formulas, theories which we do in papaerwork to prove a fusion. I've heard schrodinger equation is useful but not sure...please help

Look up Nuclear Fusion on Wikipedia and go from there. =)

ok...

Fusion is a tunneling reaction, the nuclei tunnel through the potential barrier between them, which would make it a must to take quantum mechanics into account to find tunneling probabilities. For fission the tunneling probability (and thus the probability for fission) is ruled by the Gamow factor but I'm not sure if this applies to fusion as well, but I'm guessing it would do.

You must remember that the binding energy is highest per nucleon in the nuclei around 56-Fe, therefore binding energy will always be released whenever to lighter nuclei fusion into a heavier (given that the fusion product is not heavier than 56-Fe of course).

What do you mean by "proving fusion on paper"? Do you want to prove that energy is released or what is there to "prove"?

Deepak247 said:
ok...

From your posts, I'm assuming you don't know that much about fusion. I'm not trying to be unhelpful or anything, but if you are going to write a paper on fusion, you need to read up on it. You cannot simply ask a forum to give you exactly what you need, as it is much more complicated and thorough than that. It is a very interesting subject to me, and I thoroughly enjoy reading about it, and I hope you will too.

kloptok said:
What do you mean by "proving fusion on paper"? Do you want to prove that energy is released or what is there to "prove"?

Well... you provided much of the answer to me...I need to learn more of tunneling probabilities of nuclei from quantum mechanics to understand fusion (let's say of two nuclei)...any more assistance would be appreciated

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of proving fusion calculation on paper?

The purpose of proving fusion calculation on paper is to validate and verify the accuracy of theoretical calculations and models used to predict the behavior of fusion reactions. This is essential for advancing our understanding of fusion and developing new technologies for harnessing its energy.

2. What methods are used to prove fusion calculation on paper?

There are various methods that can be used to prove fusion calculation on paper, including analytical methods, numerical simulations, and experimental data. These methods can be combined to provide a more comprehensive and accurate analysis.

3. How do scientists ensure the reliability of their calculations?

Scientists ensure the reliability of their calculations by using well-established mathematical and physical principles, cross-checking results with different methods, and performing sensitivity analyses to assess the impact of uncertainties and assumptions on the final results.

4. Can fusion calculations on paper accurately predict real-world fusion reactions?

While fusion calculations on paper are continuously improving, they are not yet able to accurately predict real-world fusion reactions due to the complexity and unpredictability of the fusion process. However, they provide valuable insights and help guide experimental efforts to achieve fusion reactions in a controlled and sustainable manner.

5. How can the results of fusion calculations on paper be applied in practical applications?

The results of fusion calculations on paper can be applied in practical applications by informing the design and optimization of fusion devices, such as tokamaks and stellarators. They can also aid in the development of new materials and technologies for withstanding the extreme conditions of fusion reactions. Additionally, fusion calculation results can be used to guide and interpret experimental data, leading to a better understanding of fusion processes.