Solving Fuzzy Dice Question: Finding Car Acceleration

• Thread starter sheepcountme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary, the question asks for the acceleration of a car based on the angle at which a pair of fuzzy dice hang on its rearview mirror. Using Newton's second law, the acceleration of the car can be determined by considering the forces acting on the dice.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

A 0.0820 kg pair of fuzzy dice is attached to the rearview mirror of a car by a short string. The car accelerates at a constant rate, and the fuzzy dice hang at an angle due to the car's acceleration. If the dice hang at 5.00° from the vertical as the car accelerates, what is the acceleration of the car?

Homework Equations

F=ma, trig functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have the freebody diagram with mg pointing down, Fn pointing up, and Fa pointing downward at a 5 degree angle from the y axis. I know how to find mg of course, but now I'm just lost. Please help me at least wave my hands at this thing...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi sheepcountme! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: the acceleration of the dice is the same as that of the car.

So use good ol' Newton's second law (vector form), Ftotal = ma. :wink:

Thank you!

I figured it out! What a relief! I was making it much more complicated than it needed to be!

1. How do you determine the car's acceleration from fuzzy dice data?

To determine the car's acceleration, we can use the basic equation of motion: acceleration = change in velocity/change in time. In this case, the change in velocity can be calculated by finding the difference between the final velocity (when the car stops) and the initial velocity (when the car starts moving). The change in time can be found by subtracting the time the car started moving from the time it stopped. Once we have these values, we can plug them into the equation to find the car's acceleration.

2. What is the importance of using fuzzy dice data to calculate acceleration?

Using fuzzy dice data to calculate acceleration allows us to collect real-time data from a moving car without the need for expensive equipment. This method is also more accessible and easier to understand for students and individuals who are not familiar with advanced physics concepts.

3. Can fuzzy dice data accurately represent a car's acceleration?

Fuzzy dice data can provide a close approximation of a car's acceleration, but it may not be completely accurate due to factors such as human error in timing or variations in road conditions. However, it can still provide a good estimate and give a general understanding of the car's acceleration.

4. How can we minimize errors in the fuzzy dice data when calculating acceleration?

To minimize errors, it is important to ensure that the car is moving in a straight line and on a flat, smooth surface. It is also crucial to have accurate and precise timing, using a stopwatch or a smartphone timer can help with this. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and calculating the average can help to reduce errors in the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using fuzzy dice data to calculate acceleration?

One limitation of using fuzzy dice data is that it does not take into account other factors that may affect a car's acceleration, such as air resistance or friction. Therefore, the calculated acceleration may not be completely accurate. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for calculating high speeds or extreme accelerations.