1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gain amplifier of a MCA

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    :mad: A radioactive material emits 2 gamma rays with 2 energies 50 keV and 200 keV with equal probabilities the detector system has a quantum efficiency of 100% and 50% respectively at these 2 energies and the pulse heights are 1.0 mV and 4.0mV respectively. The pulses are input into a 512 channel, 10 V lfull scale, MCA. The total system has an energy resolution of 20 keV.

Suggest an appropriate gain of the MCA amplifier

i sketched the displayed spectrum... also looking at the solutions they somehow got a gain of 2*10^3 with the pulse height of 4.0 mV at a channel 409 corrresponding to 8 V.

any ideas how htey got that gain and the channel number corresponding to the pulse height?

i tried fiddling round with the formulas given of
    energy resolution = (FWHM / pulse height at centre of peak) * 100%
    no luck.. somehow they got a gain of 2*10^3 for a plot that is num of counts vs channel number...

hope you guys know
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see why the gain chosen shouldn't just follow from the largest detected signal (4mV) and the FS value (10V). Since the MCA gain on a spectrometer is usually selected on a dial, you have a limited number of options. A gain of 2000X will amplify a 4mV signal to 8V (80% of FS). A higher gain setting (like 4000X or 5000X) would take the high energy peak off-scale.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?