Maths Help: Amplifiers, Resistive Input & Output Impedance, Gains

• Thread starter fcukniles
  • Start date
In summary, the amplifier has a gain of 1000 when its output is unloaded, and produces a voltage of 3.45 volts when fed from a resistive load of 1kΩ.
fcukniles
Hi, I am doing some revision and i can't remember how to do these, think i might have missed that lecture :-( shame on me, can anyone give me a hand? any help many thanks (the square is ment to be homes)

1. A microphone is delivering an electrical power of 1mW to the input of an amplifier of
gain 36dB. If the output of the amplifier drives a loudspeaker of 3 resistance calculate the speaker voltage and current.

(3.45 V, 1.15 A)

2. A ‘black box’ voltage amplifier has resistive input and output impedances of 10
kilohms and 100 respectively. It has a voltage gain of 1000 when its output is unloaded. Calculate the output voltage if it is fed from a source of 1mV having a resistive source impedance of (i) 0 and (ii) 1k if the amplifier feeds a resistive load of 1k.

(BB Question)

3. The above amplifier is used with a source resistance of 1k.

Measuring between the load terminals and the amplifier input terminals:

(i) What is the loaded voltage gain as a number?
(ii) What is the loaded gain, expressed in dB?
(iii) What is the loaded current gain?

Engineering news on Phys.org
anyone?

i have a exam on wednesday so if someone could post up some help before then it would be great.

1) The decibel is just another way to express a ratio. The first step to doing calculations with decibels is often to convert them into normal ratios.

The relationship is

[tex]x \textrm{in dB} = 10 \cdot \log_{10}{x}[/tex]

So, solve the equation

[tex]36 = \log_{10}{x}[/tex]

for x. You should get a little less than a gain of 4,000.

The output power is thus about 4000 times the input power, or about 4,000 milliwatts. Use

[tex]P = \frac{V^2}{R}[/tex]

to solve for V, and

[tex]V = I \cdot R[/tex]

to solve for I.

2) The input and output impedances are simply resistances, internal to the amplifier, that are in series with the source and load, respectively.

An amplifier with an output impedance of 100Ω and a load of 1000Ω is effectively driving a total load of 1100Ω. The two resistances form a resistor divider, such that 1000/1100ths of the output voltage is actually applied to the load.

The same situation applies to the input; draw a voltage divider and see how much of the input voltage is lost by the amplifier's source impedance.

3) The first two parts are really the same question; the third is just another ratio. I will assume that once you've finished the second problem, the third will be quite simple.

- Warren

Last edited:
thank you your a star :)

hi I am a little confused.

what do you do to the

36 = log10x to get 4000?

also

v = sqrt [PR] right?
so v = sqrt [0.004 x 3]
v = 0.11V

but it says the answer is 3.45V

thanks for n e help :)

To solve 36 = 10 log(x), raise both sides by 10:

[tex]\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
36 &= 10 \log x\\
\log x &= \frac{36}{10}\\
10^{\log x} &= 10^\frac{36}{10}\\
x &= 10^\frac{36}{10}\\
&= 3,981.07171
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

As for the second question, 4,000 milliwatts is 4 watts, not 0.004 watts.

[tex]V = \sqrt{4 W * 3 \Omega}[/tex]

- Warren

thnx chroot :)

1. What is an amplifier?

An amplifier is an electronic device that increases the power or amplitude of a signal. It is commonly used in audio systems to boost the volume of sound signals.

2. What is resistive input impedance?

Resistive input impedance is the measurement of how much resistance an amplifier presents to the input signal. It is typically measured in ohms and is important in determining the signal quality and compatibility with other components.

3. What is resistive output impedance?

Resistive output impedance is the measurement of how much resistance an amplifier presents to the output signal. It is also measured in ohms and can affect the accuracy and stability of the amplified signal.

4. How is gain calculated?

Gain is calculated by dividing the output signal by the input signal. It is typically expressed in decibels (dB) and represents the amplification factor of the signal.

5. Why is it important to match input and output impedance?

Matching input and output impedance is important because it ensures that the signal is transferred efficiently and accurately between components. Mismatched impedance can result in signal loss, distortion, and other issues with the amplified signal.