Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Galileo's Experiment with an Inclined Plane

1. Feb 12, 2018 #1
    Morning mates,

I've peformed Galileo's experiment with inclined planes, using a ramp of 88cm (divided in 4 parts of 22cm), inclined by a height on the right-edge of 4cm. I've measured the following,

1/4 of the ramp (22cm): 1.75s (error of 0.1s)
    1/2 of the ramp (44cm): 2.70s (error of 0.1s)
    3/4 of the ramp (66cm): 3.25s (error of 01.s)
    4/4 of the ramp (88c): 3.80s (error of 01.s)

How can I interpret such results in order to arrive to the conclusion that d(t) is proportional to t²?

Thanks!
    Cheers,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2018 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

To measure ‘dt’ you need a step that’s something like a real d or delta. But you could try to fit a curve to your data (best quadratic fit or by eye)

4. Feb 12, 2018 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Do you know how to fit a curve as @sophiecentaur suggested?

5. Feb 12, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You don't need to do a quadratic fit if those data points fit well to a hand drawn curve and you can draw a tangent at the various points to find the slope (which is the speed, Δd/Δt) Not as 'good' but it would give a set of speeds which should increase in equal steps for equal time increases. (Quick and dirty method with very little brain ache)

6. Feb 13, 2018 #5
    You can plot d versus t2 and see how well the points fit a straight line.
    Compare the slope of the line with a/2 where a is the acceleration for the motion on the incline.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted