1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Galileo's Experiment with an Inclined Plane

1. Feb 12, 2018 #1
    Morning mates,

I've peformed Galileo's experiment with inclined planes, using a ramp of 88cm (divided in 4 parts of 22cm), inclined by a height on the right-edge of 4cm. I've measured the following,

1/4 of the ramp (22cm): 1.75s (error of 0.1s)
    1/2 of the ramp (44cm): 2.70s (error of 0.1s)
    3/4 of the ramp (66cm): 3.25s (error of 01.s)
    4/4 of the ramp (88c): 3.80s (error of 01.s)

How can I interpret such results in order to arrive to the conclusion that d(t) is proportional to t²?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2018 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

To measure ‘dt’ you need a step that’s something like a real d or delta. But you could try to fit a curve to your data (best quadratic fit or by eye)
  4. Feb 12, 2018 #3

Staff: Mentor

Do you know how to fit a curve as @sophiecentaur suggested?
  5. Feb 12, 2018 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You don't need to do a quadratic fit if those data points fit well to a hand drawn curve and you can draw a tangent at the various points to find the slope (which is the speed, Δd/Δt) Not as 'good' but it would give a set of speeds which should increase in equal steps for equal time increases. (Quick and dirty method with very little brain ache)
  6. Feb 13, 2018 #5
    You can plot d versus t2 and see how well the points fit a straight line.
    Compare the slope of the line with a/2 where a is the acceleration for the motion on the incline.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted