Unlocking the Mystery: The Science Behind the Game Show Brain Teaser

• Thread starter island-boy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Game
In summary, in this game show scenario where you are given the choice of three suitcases, one of which contains a million dollars, it is beneficial to switch suitcases after the host opens one of the remaining unchosen suitcases that is empty. This is known as the "Monty Hall" problem, and it is proven that switching will increase your chances of getting the million dollars from 1/3 to 2/3. This can be demonstrated through various thought experiments and can be further explored through discussions and articles found through online searches.
island-boy
Okay, you're in a game show that is akin to Deal or No Deal.
You are given 3 suitcases to choose from, 1 of which contains a million dollars, the other two are empty.
Once you have chosen a suitcase, the host (who knows beforehand which of the 3 suitcases contain the million dollars), opens one of the (remianing unchosen) suitcases of which he is sure is empty. You are then given the choice of switching the suitcase you chose with the other suitcase that is unopened.
Prove that it is beneficial to switch suitcases.

I am quite confused by this...I'm thinking that switching cases would give you a 50% chance of getting the million dollars, while not switching will only give you a third of a chance. But this does not make sense intuitively.

help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the infamous 'Monty Hall' problem. (That's the name of the gameshow host.) You may be able to get more information by using that on google.

Alternatively, what would it be like if there were 1000 suitcases, you pick one, and then monty opens 998 empties. Does it make sense to switch then?

The key is that the game show host knows which are empty. By opening them he hasn't changed the probability that you picked correctly in the first place, which was 1/3, so switching will always make sense.

Nate's 'thought experiment' is in my opinion the best way to think about it, and here is another.

Suppose instead that the boxes contain 1 pound, 1000 pounds and 1,000,000 pounds, you pick one and the host opens which ever of the two boxes has the least amount of money in. (This serves to differentiate all three boxes for you.) Now, what are the options? If you pick the one pound box, then switching gets you 1,000,000, if you pick the 1,000 pound box you also get a million if you switch, and if you pick the 1,000,000 pound box you get 1,000. if you switch. So switching is in your favour 2 times out of 3 hence you should do it.

Last edited:
hey guys, thanks for the help, I was able to get the answer,
I also found some useful discussions on this brain teaser through google:
http://www.deanesmay.com/posts/1105028800.shtml
http://patterico.com/2005/01/07/2547/fun-brain-teaser/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.

The patterico site brings up the issue of whether or not it matters if "Montry" knows which door is empty, or if he just picks an empty one (I think of it as the empty doors are unlocked, the prize door is locked. You close your eyes, and Monty tries the doors, opening the first one he can that you didn't pick).
I say it doesn't matter if he knew beforehand, but then again, I was also convinced that switching to begin with was pointless.:smile:

What is a game show brain teaser?

A game show brain teaser is a type of puzzle or riddle that is presented to contestants on a game show. It is designed to challenge their critical thinking skills and test their ability to solve problems under pressure.

How do game show brain teasers work?

Game show brain teasers typically involve presenting a scenario or set of clues and asking contestants to come up with the correct answer or solution. They may require logic, math, or other skills to solve.

What types of game show brain teasers are there?

There are many different types of game show brain teasers, including word puzzles, logic puzzles, math problems, and visual puzzles. They can range from simple to extremely complex.

Why are game show brain teasers used on game shows?

Game show brain teasers are used on game shows to make the game more exciting and challenging for contestants and to engage the audience. They also add an element of unpredictability and can level the playing field between contestants with different areas of expertise.

How can I improve my performance on game show brain teasers?

To improve your performance on game show brain teasers, you can practice solving different types of puzzles and riddles, improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and learn strategies for approaching different types of brain teasers. It can also be helpful to stay calm and focused under pressure.