Solve the Game Theory Problem: How Many Players Started?

In summary: This gives you the total money given to the house. Set it equal to the total initial amount of money and solve for p. In summary, this problem involves several players starting with $300 each and playing a game with unique rules. After each round, the loser distributes their money to the remaining players and leaves the game. The game ends when only one player remains and has $300. By setting up a quadratic equation, it can be determined that there were 58 players at the beginning.
galois427
i need help with solving tihs problem. I'm not really sure how to prove it.

several people started with $300 each, and played a game with the following strange rules. each player pays $10 to the house at the beginning of each round. during each round, one active player is declared the loser, and he distributes all of his money in equal amounts to the remaining players. the loser must then leave, but all of the other players go on to the next round. the game is over when only one player remains. at the end of the game, the surviving olayer was surprised to discover that he had exactly $300, equaling his starting amount. how many players were there at the beginning?

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks more like an algebra/number theory problem to me...

Assume there are p players.

The total initial amount of money is 300p

The money going to the house is as follows :

1st round : 10p
2nd round : 10(p-1)
3rd round : 10(p-2)
(p-2)th round : 20

Sum these to find the total money given to the house.

The difference is what the winner has.

You have a simple quadratic equation in p. Solve it.

can you explain that a little more. how does (p-2)th round : 20?
i found out, by guess and check, that p=58, but how do you go about proving it?

Last edited:
nvm, i just figured it out. thanks.

galois427 said:
can you explain that a little more. how does (p-2)th round : 20?
i found out, by guess and check, that p=58, but how do you go about proving it?

Oops, sorry. The last round should be the (p-1)th round. :redface:

Use the formula for the sum of p consecutive natural numbers.

Related to Solve the Game Theory Problem: How Many Players Started?

1. How do you define the game theory problem?

The game theory problem is a mathematical concept that analyzes the decision-making process of individuals or groups in strategic situations. It aims to determine the best course of action for each player based on their opponents' choices and potential outcomes.

2. What factors affect the outcome of the game theory problem?

Several factors can influence the outcome of the game theory problem, including the number of players, their strategies, and the payoff or utility associated with each outcome. Other factors such as communication, trust, and information also play a role.

3. How many players are typically involved in the game theory problem?

The number of players involved in the game theory problem can vary, but it typically involves two or more players. However, some variations of the problem may have a single player competing against nature or an unknown opponent.

4. What are the common strategies used in solving the game theory problem?

The most commonly used strategies in solving the game theory problem are dominant strategy, Nash equilibrium, and mixed strategy. These strategies involve analyzing the possible outcomes and choosing the best course of action based on the opponent's choices.

5. How is the game theory problem applied in real-life scenarios?

The game theory problem has applications in various fields, including economics, politics, sociology, and biology. It can be used to analyze competitive markets, strategic business decisions, international relations, social interactions, and evolutionary processes.