1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma Distribution (Statistics)

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    A random variable X is gamma distributed with a=3, b=2 (alpha/beta). Determine the probability that 1[tex]\leq[/tex]X[tex]\leq[/tex]2

The first thing I did was plug a & b into the gamma distribution formula 1/(b^a [tex]\Gamma[/tex]a * x^(a-1) * e^(-x/b)

Which I ended up with

1/16(x^2 * e^(-x/2)

Which I then though I'd take the integral from 1 to 2

[tex]\int[/tex] 1/16(x^2 * e^(-x/2) dx = 1/16(-2x^2 * e^-.5 - 8x * e^-.5 - 16e^-.5) & then I evaluated that from 1 to 2. Which gave .06...

The answer in the book gives (b-a)^4/80

So where am I going wrong & am I just approaching this problem in totally the wrong way?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2008 #2
    Try this for Gamma density.

[tex]f(x)= \frac {\beta^\alpha}{\Gamma(\alpha)}x^{\alpha -1} e^{-\beta x}[/tex]

The books answer would be negative ???

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    The book answer wouldn't be negative, it'd be ((2-3)^4)/80.

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    Also tried the formula, it does not work, it gives a probability over 11, which clearly can't be. The only difference between the formula I posted & yours is you have e^-bx & I had e^(-x/b).

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5

exk

I am assuming montoyas7940 looked up the gamma pdf on wikipedia (as I did) and I think that parametrization is correct for your application.

I get:

[itex]\int_{1}^{2} 4x^{2}e^{-2x}dx[/itex]

That doesn't evaluate to 1/80.

Try this maybe: P(1<X<2) = P(X<2)+P(X<1)-1

7. Apr 17, 2008 #6
    Oh, I see. I assumed an extra set of parentheses in the books answer. I used the gamma density from "Probability for Risk Management".

8. Apr 17, 2008 #7
    Unless I fat fingered a key on my calculator,

[itex]\int_{1}^{2} 4x^{2}e^{-2x}dx[/itex]

is not .6 either.

9. Apr 17, 2008 #8
    I read the answer book wrong... sorry. :) Its NOT (b-a)^4/80.

The answer was approx. .0659.

Someone asked about the fact Probability for Risk Management gave a different answer today, but I'm not sure what they eventually decided. Using the formula you give I'm still getting 11.14, but I do recall the professor saying Probability for Risk Managements define their alpha as our beta... what I mean is its flip-flopped from what our notation is in the text we use. Anyway, thanks for your time & the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?