Gamma energies from fast neutron activation.

In summary, the conversation suggests the speaker is looking for sources on gamma energies from fast neutron activation, particularly for an MCNP project. Suggestions include checking scientific journals, reaching out to experts, and contacting research institutions.
theCandyman
I've looked around and not found any good sources on the gamma energies from fast neutron activation. I need to find the characteristic gamma rays for an MCNP project and currently, I'm relying on energies I get from running some simple cases I set up for the element of interest. Does anyone know of any source I can use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps the MCNP folks at LANL have some ideas or know of a library.

One could try to use the BNL-NNDC data - perhaps ADOPTED LEVELS, GAMMAS or ENSDF files, e.g. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/getdataset.jsp?nucleus=65NI&unc=nds

Hi there,

I can understand your frustration in not being able to find good sources on gamma energies from fast neutron activation. Have you tried checking out scientific journals or research articles? They often have detailed information on specific elements and their characteristic gamma rays.

Another option could be reaching out to experts in the field or contacting a university or research institution that specializes in nuclear physics. They may have access to more comprehensive data and can provide you with reliable sources for your project.

I hope this helps and good luck with your MCNP project!

1. What is fast neutron activation?

Fast neutron activation is a process in which fast-moving neutrons collide with atoms, causing them to become radioactive. This process is commonly used in nuclear reactors and particle accelerators to produce radioactive materials for medical and scientific purposes.

2. How are gamma energies produced from fast neutron activation?

When fast neutrons collide with atoms, they may cause the atoms to become unstable and emit radiation in the form of gamma rays. These gamma rays carry energy and can be measured to determine the type and quantity of radioactive materials produced.

3. What is the significance of gamma energies from fast neutron activation?

Gamma energies from fast neutron activation are important for various reasons. They can be used to identify and quantify radioactive materials, which is crucial for nuclear safety and security. They are also used in medical imaging and cancer treatments.

4. How are gamma energies from fast neutron activation measured?

Gamma energies can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as gamma spectrometers and scintillation detectors. These instruments can detect and measure the energy and intensity of gamma rays, providing valuable information about the radioactive materials present.

5. What precautions are taken to ensure safety when working with gamma energies from fast neutron activation?

Working with gamma energies from fast neutron activation requires strict safety protocols to protect individuals and the environment from radiation exposure. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, monitoring radiation levels, and following proper handling and disposal procedures for radioactive materials.