Gap between undergrad and PhD?

In summary: A gap is generally acceptable. In fact, I think it would do a lot of people some good. However, I think you should give up any plan to have any job while doing a PhD. I can't speak for every department, but in my department at my school, it was explicitly prohibited having a job while receiving a stipend. This essentially translated into no graduate student was allowed a job because we all received some form of stipend.
bsharitt
I'm just starting back to school as for a BS in Physics and my plan is to follow that up with a PhD. While I can largely get my BS as a part time student over the next 4 years, when it come time to work on the PhD, I'll of course have to do school full time. I do have a plan in place where most of my finances should be in order where I'll be able to give up my current full time job, but just in case I'm off a little bit, what kind of gap between finishing undergrad and start starting a PhD is acceptable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's whatever the admission committee thinks is acceptable. It was 15 months for me.

However, it is not realistic to plan on working part-time while pursuing a PhD. First, pursuing a PhD is a full-time job. Second, it's likely to delay your PhD. You might be OK with that, but the department may not be. Particularly, they might not want to give you a stipend for the extra time.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's whatever the admission committee thinks is acceptable. It was 15 months for me.

However, it is not realistic to plan on working part-time while pursuing a PhD. First, pursuing a PhD is a full-time job. Second, it's likely to delay your PhD. You might be OK with that, but the department may not be. Particularly, they might not want to give you a stipend for the extra time.

I'm hoping I won't need a part time job, but my point was that once I get started on the PhD track, it'll be school that's my full time focus any my current full time job.

bsharitt said:
I'm just starting back to school as for a BS in Physics and my plan is to follow that up with a PhD. While I can largely get my BS as a part time student over the next 4 years, when it come time to work on the PhD, I'll of course have swap things around and do school full time and probably find a part time job(even if I do have a stipend). I do have a plan in place where most of my finances should be in order where I'll be able to give up my current full time job, but just in case I'm off a little bit, what kind of gap between finishing undergrad and start starting a PhD is acceptable?

A gap is generally acceptable. In fact, I think it would do a lot of people some good. However, I think you should give up any plan to have any job while doing a PhD. I can't speak for every department, but in my department at my school, it was explicitly prohibited having a job while receiving a stipend. This essentially translated into no graduate student was allowed a job because we all received some form of stipend. What may be possible is working during the summer, while even that is highly discouraged, most people and departments can understand that unless they are paying you for that time, you need money to live.

As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of planning and financial stability when pursuing a PhD. It is commendable that you have a plan in place to support yourself during your full-time PhD studies.

In terms of the gap between finishing your undergraduate studies and starting a PhD, there is no set timeframe that is considered acceptable. Every individual's circumstances and academic journey are unique, so it is important to make decisions that are best for you.

Some students may choose to take a gap year or even a few years before starting their PhD, while others may start immediately after completing their undergraduate degree. Ultimately, what matters most is that you feel prepared and ready to take on the challenges of a PhD program.

It is important to keep in mind that there may be some adjustments and challenges when transitioning from part-time undergraduate studies to full-time PhD studies. However, with determination and a strong support system, you can successfully navigate this gap and excel in your PhD program.

I wish you all the best in your academic journey and I have no doubt that you will make a valuable contribution to the field of physics through your PhD research.

1. What is the typical length of the gap between completing an undergraduate degree and starting a PhD program?

The length of the gap between completing an undergraduate degree and starting a PhD program can vary greatly. On average, it is around 1-2 years, but it can range from a few months to several years depending on individual circumstances.

2. Do I need to have work experience before applying for a PhD program after completing my undergraduate degree?

No, work experience is not a requirement for admission into a PhD program. However, having some relevant work experience can make your application more competitive and provide valuable skills and knowledge for your research.

3. Will taking a gap between undergrad and PhD hurt my chances of getting accepted into a program?

Taking a gap between undergrad and PhD will not necessarily hurt your chances of getting accepted. Admissions committees look at a variety of factors, such as academic achievements, research experience, and personal statements. However, it is important to use your gap wisely and demonstrate how it has helped you grow and prepare for a PhD program.

4. Can I do anything during my gap between undergrad and PhD to better prepare for a PhD program?

Yes, there are many things you can do during your gap to better prepare for a PhD program. You can gain relevant research experience through internships or working in a lab, take additional courses to strengthen your academic background, or work on developing your writing and critical thinking skills.

5. Is it common to take a gap between undergrad and PhD, or should I go straight into a program?

Taking a gap between undergrad and PhD is quite common and can be beneficial for many individuals. It allows time for personal and professional growth, and can help you to better define your research interests and goals. However, it is ultimately a personal decision and you should consider your own circumstances and goals before deciding whether or not to take a gap.