Gas at a constant pressure: using Cv.dT correctly

In summary: Process 2: Isobaric W = P(V2-V1)--> 3.59x10^4Pa (0.0484m3- 0.0899m3) --> -1,490 J work done on the gas - final volume is less.dU = Cv×dT à 12.471 JK-1 × (209.4K-389K) = -2,239 JdQ = -2,239 J + -1,490 J = -3,729 J
chopnhack
Hello, my questions is not so much homework, but a request for a definition. When we use Cv*dT to solve for dU (internal energy) in a constant pressure example, what is the order of the temperatures entered into dT?
Is one to assume its final temp minus initial temp? I ask because it leads to sign convention and I want to make sure I understand it properly.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, dT represents final temperature minus initial temperature for an infinitesimal change in temperature.

Positive dT corresponds to a temperature increase, which also corresponds to an increase in internal energy of the gas. It doesn't matter whether the pressure is constant or not.

Likes chopnhack
Thank you, that helped me a lot!

Could you point me in the right direction for the last part of this problem? I tried to simply sum up the dQ's, dU's and dW's, but noticed that there was overlap where in some cases dU = dW... I then thought out the process and how the gas starts at a certain temperature and pressure, the gas loses heat while expanding and regains said heat while contracting. I thought that they might cancel each other out. The gas returns to its original starting point, temperature and pressure - no net W done.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2.pdf
    101.4 KB · Views: 875
chopnhack said:
Thank you, that helped me a lot!

Could you point me in the right direction for the last part of this problem? I tried to simply sum up the dQ's, dU's and dW's, but noticed that there was overlap where in some cases dU = dW... I then thought out the process and how the gas starts at a certain temperature and pressure, the gas loses heat while expanding and regains said heat while contracting. I thought that they might cancel each other out. The gas returns to its original starting point, temperature and pressure - no net W done.

Thanks in advance.
In step 1, ##\Delta U## is negative, since the temperature decreased. If you correct this, then you will find that ##\Delta U## for the cycle is equal to zero. You should also then find that W for the cycle is equal to Q for the cycle.

Likes chopnhack
Chestermiller said:
In step 1, ##\Delta U## is negative, since the temperature decreased. If you correct this, then you will find that ##\Delta U## for the cycle is equal to zero. You should also then find that W for the cycle is equal to Q for the cycle.
I was close!
I missed the fact that the calculation was final temperature minus initial temperature for dT which yielded the negative value for dU and dW for process one.

Process 1: Adiabatic

dQ = 0 No heat added in an Adiabatic expansion, the gas expands using internal energy.

dU = dW = Cv×dT = 12.471 JK-1 × (389K-588K) --> -2,482 J

But now that I look at the other parts, my process for isobaric would need to yield a positive value to have the whole system balance out with 993J Q and W
My understanding of the equation was that final volume minus initial volume in this case will yield a negative value...
Where have I gone wrong?

Process 2: Isobaric

W = P(V2-V1)--> 3.59x10^4Pa (0.0484m3- 0.0899m3) --> -1,490 J work done on the gas - final volume is less.

dU = Cv×dT à 12.471 JK-1 × (209.4K-389K) = -2,239 J

dQ = -2,239 J + -1,490 J = -3,729 J

chopnhack said:
I was close!
I missed the fact that the calculation was final temperature minus initial temperature for dT which yielded the negative value for dU and dW for process one.

dQ = 0 No heat added in an Adiabatic expansion, the gas expands using internal energy.

dU = dW = Cv×dT = 12.471 JK-1 × (389K-588K) --> -2,482 J

No. $$\Delta U=Q-W$$so, if Q = 0, $$W=-\Delta U=+2482 J$$
But now that I look at the other parts, my process for isobaric would need to yield a positive value to have the whole system balance out with 993J Q and W
My understanding of the equation was that final volume minus initial volume in this case will yield a negative value...
Where have I gone wrong?

Process 2: Isobaric

W = P(V2-V1)--> 3.59x10^4Pa (0.0484m3- 0.0899m3) --> -1,490 J work done on the gas - final volume is less.

dU = Cv×dT à 12.471 JK-1 × (209.4K-389K) = -2,239 J

dQ = -2,239 J + -1,490 J = -3,729 J
Process 2 calc is correct.

Likes chopnhack
Chestermiller said:
No. $$\Delta U=Q-W$$so, if Q = 0, $$W=-\Delta U=+2482 J$$

Process 2 calc is correct.
Ok, I see the manipulation, simply restating the Q=U+W equation, solve for U instead. What would lead me to do that though? The lecture notes showed us many derivations and the one that came to mind when solving this problem was dU = dW = Cv×dT (for adiabatic process). Is this equation wrong? Forgive my questioning, but I am trying to understand the why. I don't want to simply plod through the mechanics of the math.

(Looking at it from a strict definition standpoint it makes sense - for an adiabatic process - internal energy changes as much as work done, but since the work done come from the gas itself, the value changes!)

chopnhack said:
Ok, I see the manipulation, simply restating the Q=U+W equation, solve for U instead. What would lead me to do that though? The lecture notes showed us many derivations and the one that came to mind when solving this problem was dU = dW = Cv×dT (for adiabatic process). Is this equation wrong? Forgive my questioning, but I am trying to understand the why. I don't want to simply plod through the mechanics of the math.
There are two sign conventions used in the literature for the first law: $$\Delta U=Q-W$$where W is the work done by the system on the surroundings, and $$\Delta U=Q+W$$whereW is the work done by the surroundings on the system? Which sign convention are you using?

Likes chopnhack
Chestermiller said:
There are two sign conventions used in the literature for the first law: $$\Delta U=Q-W$$where W is the work done by the system on the surroundings, and $$\Delta U=Q+W$$whereW is the work done by the surroundings on the system? Which sign convention are you using?
Can we use dW = -dU?

dW = -Cv×dT = 12.471 JK-1 × (389K-588K) à +2,482 J

dU = -dW = -2,482 J

chopnhack said:
Can we use dW = -dU
Only if Q = 0. Otherwise $$\Delta U=Q-W$$and$$W=Q-\Delta U$$

(Please don't use d's when you mean ##\Delta##'s or, in the case of path-dependent quantities like heat and work, capitalized symbols Q and W).

Likes chopnhack
Chestermiller said:
Only if Q = 0. Otherwise $$\Delta U=Q-W$$and$$W=Q-\Delta U$$

(Please don't use d's when you mean ##\Delta##'s or, in the case of path-dependent quantities like heat and work, capitalized symbols Q and W).
Got it! only for adiabatic. Sorry, I was using what the professor taught us. He did mention not to call it 'd' but delta. Maybe he had a hard time with his software ;-)
Thank you for helping me understand this better. I was having fits with it!

1. What is the equation for calculating the change in internal energy at constant pressure?

The equation for calculating the change in internal energy (ΔU) at constant pressure (Cp) is ΔU = CpΔT, where ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do you determine the specific heat capacity at constant volume (Cv)?

The specific heat capacity at constant volume (Cv) can be determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of a substance when a known amount of heat is added at a constant volume.

3. Why is it important to use the correct Cv value in calculations at constant pressure?

Using the correct Cv value is important because it represents the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree at constant volume. Using an incorrect Cv value can lead to inaccurate calculations and results.

4. Can the Cv value for a substance change?

Yes, the Cv value for a substance can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and phase changes. It is important to use the correct Cv value for the specific conditions of the substance being studied.

5. How does the Cv value differ from the Cp value?

The Cv value represents the specific heat capacity at constant volume, while the Cp value represents the specific heat capacity at constant pressure. This means that Cv is measured under conditions where the volume of the substance remains constant, while Cp is measured under conditions where the pressure remains constant.